Sunday, November 2, 2008

Halloween Schmalloween

Is everyone sick of Halloween pictures yet? Too bad. Here are ours. I'll try to make it short and sweet (hahahaha! That'll be the day!)

We carved pumpkins. I only took a picture of this one because I wasn't feeling well. We are dorks.


Keaton continued his tradition of wanting his Halloween costume to be the same thing that his birthday cake was in June of the same year. Last year he had a volcano cake, and then wanted to be a volcano for Halloween. It was especially awesome when he quit wearing the "lava hat" and everyone thought he was either an anthill or a Hershey's Kiss.

Anyway, this year he had a Harold the Helicopter cake, and was sure for months on end that he had to be Harold for Halloween.

So since I am still married to MacGuyver, I tasked my fabulous spouse with making Harold come to life. He didn't disappoint!

He designed and constructed the whole thing -- complete with internal reinforcements and a spinning rotor, and then I took over the painting.


It was quite the feat of cardboard engineering, and Keaton was ECSTATIC when he saw the finished product.

He was tired here, but I am posting it so you can see him from the side...

Keaton's costume was a ton of work, but luckily Rylan also decided to continue her tradition of "I want to be a princess/fairy/ballerina-princess-fairy for Halloween", so hers was easy. I think she just loves to be a girly girl and wear makeup, but whatever floats her boat is fine with me!

I couldn't get her to hold still long enough for a picture by herself, but here she is with Keaton/Harold:



Here they are with some of the neighbor kids. See Branik in the background dragging his blankie around? He almost wasn't anything for Halloween because he was such a little sicko all week, but he perked up at the last minute so we threw him into a costume that both Rylan and Keaton have worn (sorry, third child, thems the breaks!)

I still think he looked cute, but he would NOT part with his blankie. If we ever lose that thing we are dead meat. He only went to about 5 or 6 doors because he really wasn't feeling great, but he was content to be carried all over the freaking neighborhood by yours truly. My left bicep is still killing me. All of us were exhausted after 90 minutes -- Rylan's feet started hurting and SHE had to be carried between houses, I had Branik on my left hip the whole night, and Boone ended up with Harold in one arm while holding Keaton against his back with the other arm.

Good times, but I am glad it's only once a year. I'll predict right now that next October, we will be constructing a Toby costume, because we already know Keaton wants a Toby cake for his 5th birthday (if you have talked to Keaton in the last 6 months, you know this too). If I am right, you all owe me a thousand dollars. Totally fair and not at all manipulateable (not a real word) by me:)


See you next year!

13 comments:

Emma said...

A few thoughts:
Nice pumpkin. Fantastic Harold costume - great job Boone! Rylan, you make a beautiful princess. And, once again, I'm sorry you were all so sick.

Betty said...

Fabulous costumes, all three! Thanks for the update!

The Galan Family said...

Boone, you are amazing! Great job on Harold. It turned out so cute. And that Obama pumpkin, classic.

Deb said...

LOVE the pumpkin. Wish I thought of it. Course, in these parts, it probably would have ended up smashed on my porch. Costumes wonderful, too, but that pumpkin rocks. B4O!

Christy said...

Very cool!!!

If you post those pictures on Mommysavers.com in our FRUGAL FALL CONTEST (which ends today so you better hurry) you could win a prize

Look up "frugal halloween costumes"

OR if you don't mind, could I post them on the site?

Christy said...

Here's the link to the contest:
http://mommysavers.com/boards/frugal-fall-fun-contest/97062-contest-details.html

Nicole said...

Christy -- be my guest!

Emi said...

ok. holy. freaking. awesomeness. tell Boone he's hired to make Gavin's costume next year.

Sara K. said...

Boone is quite the cardboard crafty-man. When I was 12 I made a lifesize Swatch watch out of cardboard for my Halloween costume. Great in theory, not so much in logistics.

Anonymous said...

You forgot to specify for everyone looking at the static pictures that HAROLD'S ROTOR SPINS.

MacGuyver indeed...

Nicole said...

Chrysta, Chrysta, Chrysta,

I told everyone about the spinning rotor! It's right underneath the first in the construction series of pictures. Does this mean you are not taking detailed notes on all of my blog posts? Feast upon the word, my dear:)

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, I see that now. I hang my head in shame for trying to read blogs with a wiggly baby in my lap...

Sara K. said...

At least you are reading blogs and commenting and thus we know you are alive.