Sarah and I have a hot date with a section of highway on Hilton Head Island one week from today, and I think things have come along swimmingly. Despite my knee injury, her foot injury, her girls' trip, and Christmas break, we have managed to complete most of our training now and seem to be ready to go for the half marathon next weekend.


We had a great 10 mile run this morning along the North Augusta Greenway (that's it up there -- pretty, huh?) and I can honestly say that I felt fantastic clear up until 8.5 miles. At that point I could tell I was getting tired, but I certainly wasn't spent. I am attributing the success this morning to three things:
#1 Tyler's advice last week (thanks Ty, things went MUCH better;)
#2 The 23 pounds of seafood I ate at dinner last night. And the key lime pie.
#3 GU Tri-Berry Energy Gel

This little packet of sugary goop made a big difference in my energy level and helped a lot. Think berry flavored frosting. Okay, don't think that -- it sounds gross. Sarah almost puked hers up (different kind) but once she got some water on board she said she felt it too. So a few of these little packets will definitely be coming with us to Hilton Head.
We came in at 1:28 for the full 10 miles, and for us that was pretty fast. I'll post some pictures and results next week when we finish, unless of course we blow it or have a really lousy time, and then we'll all just pretend I never posted this, mmkay?
So, to recap:
Not eating Kashi and Fiber One bars BEFORE a long run + every kind of seafood you can cram into one sitting + key lime pie + GU berry frosting = 10 miles in 1:28.
Peace out.
P.S. Dear Georgia,
It would be great if you could quit sucking just enough to pave some sort of trail like this so I wouldn't have to drive to South Carolina to run on a paved, flat surface.
Love,
Nicole
25 comments:
I am so excited for you!! Having your big event so close and being ready to go is just the coolest feeling. Good for you, Nicole. Imagine me clanging my cow bell and Woot-Wootin' like a loon for you and Sarah. Good for you, good for you, good for you.
I'm considering GU Tri-Berry Energy Gel to make it through Wednesday. Any Wednesday.
Looks like you had a great run this morning. Your pics are beautiful. And when we previously discussed your post-run GI issues, you never mentioned eating ridiculous amounts of fiber beforehand. Since you did NOT do that this time, can we assume that's been the culprit?
Deb, I'd recommend the Key Lime Pie to get through Wednesdays.
And remember how you did six times that distance a few months ago? Good for you, good for you, good for you!
P.S. I'm completely and wholly (redundant, I know, but I'm making a point) lime green with envy that you and Sarah get to go to Hilton Head next weekend. Is the race on Saturday or Sunday? Are you taking the families or doing a girls only thing?
So umm...that amount of fiber is pretty standard for me, and I have had to modify my diet for about 48 hours before a long run to fix the problem.
I have a wonky GI, what can I say?
"Miss Lemon, your landlord called and said, 'It's not the toilet -- it's you'".
That pretty much sums it up in a WAYYYY too much information kind of way.
The race is Saturday -- I'm stunned, STUNNED that you question my righteousness enough to ask if I would RACE ON SUNDAY (gasp!).
I only skip church to go to South Carolina if Barack Obama is speaking there;)
We are ditching the men and children on Friday afternoon and coming back Saturday evening.
Quick trip, but I'll take it!
I've been sitting here refreshing the page waiting for you to reply because I know you're there. :)
We are ridiculous phone avoiders. How is your weekend going other than the run?
No I'm even more jealous, knowing that it's a girls only trip.
And honestly, I figured the race must be on Saturday, because I KNOW how dedicated you are to your calling in Primary :)
noW. The first word of the last comment should be noW.
Well, finishing the run takes a huge mental load off my mental shoulders, and now I am just sitting on my derriere reading blogs.
I got all my housework done on Thursday and my husband took all 3 kids grocery shopping while I galavanted all over South Carolina this morning, and now he's getting ready to make me dinner. He took me on a date last night and I stuffed my face until I embarrassed him, and then I ordered dessert.
So I'd have to say that's a pretty kick-A weekend so far.
Sounds pretty kick-A to me. Glad you're having a good one for a change...
Whoa... congrats on all the prep running, and good luck with the run this next weekend!
I swam a mile in an hour this morning. Can I be in the race too?
(The idea of running 2 feet makes me laugh hysterically, never mind a half marathon).
Chrysta, I think we need to tag along and hang out on the beach or shop or something while they run.
Oh Brandi, you have NO IDEA how much I wish that I could...
This post is making it all too real! Ahhh! Just kidding we are totally ready and we are going kick butt. Wish the race was closer so we could have ya'll cheer us on to the finish line. Okay, I just typed ya'll. I've been in Georgia too long.
Good Luck on your run. You gals are going to kick butt. Wishing we were all there to cheer you on. Go Nicole and Sarah!!!
Good for you! I am embarrassed to admit that I have forgotten how to run. Seriously, who knew such a thing could happen. I know it is just like walking except you go a lot faster, but I’m still not getting it.
If you were in the Atlanta area you could do the Silver Comet Trail, otherwise I think you’re pretty much out of luck. I do like to walk but the only “good” trail near me is a 1/3 mile loop. I think other than the city of Atlanta; Georgia isn’t really good about public parks or great walking/running trails. Wait a few weeks and the beautiful spring will almost make up for it.
JustMe,
My husband and I say all the time that Atlanta seems to be the one exception to the general lameness that encompasses Georgia.
Boone has a cousin who teaches at Georgia Tech so we have visited a few times and really enjoyed the area. Better parks, better cultural activities, better restaurants -- the works. There is just nothing to do in Augusta unless you worship the game of golf.
Still, I have to say that I appreciate my time here, if only to help me figure out what to look for in a city before we settle down somewhere. Good parks and rec. will be high on my list.
I used to live in a small town in Wyoming - 8,000 people. It has the best parks all over town with trees and playgrounds and walking trails. So its not just about the size. It also had a small but world-class museum and better clubs at the High School for my kids.
The south can be a little slow in a lot of ways - but I'm telling you - springtime is Georgia is the most beautiful place on earth.
Oh I absolutely agree with you about the springtime here! I think Atlanta has this too, but in the spring here the wisteria vines climb the 20 and 30 foot trees and they look like they are dripping in purple grapes. Between that, the pear trees exploding their white blossoms, the azaleas, and the kudzu (yes, I like it), it IS gorgeous here.
On the other hand, my poor husband has such awful allergies that the spring bloom (complete with the pollen covered cars) is torturous for him.
Dearest Nicole:
Now that we are busy making nice to each other, I must tell you that you have hurt my feelings. Because you are a sweet young woman, I am sure in was inadvertent, so I will allow you to make amends.
"I am embarrassed to admit that I have forgotten how to run. Seriously, who knew such a thing could happen. I know it is just like walking except you go a lot faster, but I’m still not getting it"
I thought that was a seriously funny statement in my first comment, and you let it pass without remarking on it. I am beginning to think that my daughters are right, and I really am not funny.
JustMeOldMormonMomInGeorgia
YAY!!! I'm so so so excited for you guys! Plus, Hilton Head--I love Hilton Head! I'm glad you found that frosting stuff---sounds fantastic! You guys are my ultimate heroes! I truly want to have your motivation when I grow up!!!! GOOD LUCK!
JustMe,
Now I am REALLY laughing:) I actually found your opening statement so funny that it was the first thing I told Boone when he came home tonight (followed immediately by my "what are you making me for dinner?" routine).
Why I didn't acknowledge your wit in my response is beyond me, but I beg your forgiveness!
You are one of the funniest conservatives I e-know;) Am I forgiven?
Good luck on your race! You'll do great!
Just for the record - in my household - I'm the flaming liberal!
Seriously though, I really have forgotten how to run :-)
Post a Comment