Saturday, March 7, 2009

Albany Half Marathon 2009

Okay, so maybe I talk a lot about running now, but I like it, and it's the first thing I have done for myself in I-don't-know-how-long. If you don't care, don't read this:)

First of all, HUGE thanks to the Galans, who not only watched our kids for us, but watched our kids WHILE THEY WERE MOVING! Before you ask how I could be such a sucky friend as to let them do it, well, that's just how I roll. It's all about me, duh! Team Galan is awesome. And insane. But we really benefited from their lunacy this weekend and I'm sure our kids appreciated missing out on nearly 9 hours of driving in a 24 hour period.

This second half marathon was different from my first in a couple of ways: I trained for this one by myself (boo); I actually had a time goal instead of just a "finish" goal (wanted to come in under 2 hours); and I had my favorite person on the sidelines (AWESOME!) who is such a studly navigator that he managed to find me 3 times during the race -- pretty good for a first time spectator! Without further ado, here's how it all went down...

Boone and I made a mad dash to Albany, GA (4+ hours away) on Friday night so I could pick up my race packet in time. We made it with about 20 minutes to spare and headed to our hotel to start our raging party (we brushed our teeth and went to bed at 10:30).

I woke up at 3:15 and never really fell back asleep, so I still don't know what it would be like to race on more than 4 hours of sleep. It might be cool, if you're a sissy who thinks being rested is beneficial.



Here I am in the parking lot of the hotel, ready to go while it's still dark. Those of you who know me in real life know this is like the Twilight Zone already. In fact, when I asked Boone why he wanted to take this picture, he said, "So you can prove you were awake before dawn one time". Psshh. Whatever. I've been up before dawn like 4 other times in my life. It's overrated.

Pretty self explanatory here -- it's the starting line. I'm in there somewhere, but not visible in this picture. The 5 guys who are matchy matchy were the first 5 finishers for the half marathon, and the 3 Kenyans on the left were the top 3 for the full 26.2. I guess they had a good reason to be at the front of the line. More on them later...

We actually had timing chips and I managed to be much closer to the front than I was in Hilton Head. This was good and bad. Good because I didn't have to fight my way up to get enough room to go at my own pace, but bad because there is a natural tendency to try to keep up with those in front of you. This meant I went out way too fast that first mile, finishing in 8:17.

***Sonja, Tyler, Christy, Anna, Sara, and anyone else who is more athletic than me can quit laughing at my "way too fast" pace now -- let's all remember that I didn't really start running until November. Seriously, QUIT LAUGHING!***

Here what an action shot looks like when you are using a crappy outdated camera. This was the first time Boone saw me, right at mile 2. It was so foggy through the first 5 miles that the brim of my hat was literally dripping with condensation. This turned out to be helpful when I basically threw a cup of Gatorade into my right eye at mile 3. I looked like a pirate for about a mile until I had accumulated enough mist on my face to wash off. I'm pretty much the biggest dork you'll ever see on a race course, but I think my eye enjoyed the electolyle boost.

See how foggy? See my LOOONNNGG fanny? Good times. By mile 2 I had slowed back down to my goal pace of 9:00 miles and was able to hang out there until around mile 6 when my dumb foot started hurting. I knew my goal time was slipping away when I'd lost a full 2 minutes by mile 10, but right around that aid station the pain just faded and I was able to pick it back up a little. I think it helped that I saw Boone again at mile 10 and was able to ditch my hydration belt with him. It's not that it was super heavy or cumbersome, but I think it gave me a boost psychologically.

Boone pointed out that pretty much all the running pictures look the same -- it's a big-faced chick in blue with Gatorade in her eye and a fanny pack. I don't think you all could handle that kind of hotness over and over and over again, so I'll do you a favor and cut to the finish.


Yep, that's me, BARELY making my goal time, but MAKING IT! My official chip time was 1:59:24 -- a 9:07 pace -- which put me finishing 9th in my age group, and as the 62nd overall female out of 338 runners. I was secretly hoping for a 1:58 finish, but I was still really happy that I cut over 3 1/2 minutes off my time in 4 weeks.


See the happiness? So the crazy thing is when you finish running 13.1 miles, and literally 14 minutes later 3 Kenyans come cruising through the finish line as they finish the full marathon. Insane. It is just amazing to me that people can run that fast. On the other hand, none of those dudes has incubated 3 human beings in their bodies like I have, so I'm pretty sure I impressed them as much as they impressed me.



And just like that, I was back in full dork mode. Sigh.


It was a blast. I loved having Boone there to cheer me on, and once again I find myself antsy to register for another race. I think after I run one more half, I am going to have to go for the full 26.2. Who's in?

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

HOOORRRAAAAYYY!!!!!

Emi said...

wow. that's awesome. I'm so impressed.
now back to the box of girl scout cookies I'm smacking down over here

Brandi said...

O.K., but did you pee all over yourself when it was done? That's all I really want to know.

By the way, your talking about running so much makes me feel less dorky for talking about the Y so much.

luce said...

that was great you are mine and andys hero

Christy said...

You are a ROCK STAR!!!!! So proud of you! That's an amazing time, amazing pace and an amazing finishing shot! Way to go!!!!

Cilka said...

You woke up that early????? You are a brand new Nicole. :) You must have been excited about the race. Good job on the run. You are a running machine! Your "long fanny" is NOT long, by the way.

Tiffany said...

Check your email junk folder to see my congratulations...

Joel (Bob) and Dresden said...

You ARE so cool! Way to go! And it was great catching up with you in nursery today...

Jessica said...

You are serisouly attractive, even in spandex.

No, Nicole. I am not being sarcastic.

I am joining the Y because I have been inspired by you and Sarah. Will you teach me how to run so I can get some muscle in my legs? You might think everyone knows how to run, but I really don't.

Alyssa said...

Reading this blog just made me feel really crappy about the giant bowl of chocolate peanut butter pretzel sensation ice cream that I just ate. But kudos to you! I can't believe you did your second half just 4 weeks after the first!

Sara K. said...

You and your long fanny rock! Congrats on an amazing race and finish.

Courtney said...

That is awesome. Also, you look like MOm a lot in that last picture. But seriously, you rock.

Deb said...

What a great story! I love hearing the details, because all that stuff is what makes it "an experience" -- the gatorade, the fog, your dumb foot, your fanny pack, the Kenyans. I'm just impressed that the fanny pack stays on your fanny. The few times I tried running during my walk training, my fanny pack dislodged and circled me like a hula hoop.

Can't wait for the next one!

devin said...

Way to go, Nicole! I am so impressed. And so out of shape...

Anna@Exasperation said...

Um, I am currently running 11 minute miles. NOT joking. I love running but I'm possibly the slowest runner on the planet. I'm hoping to run 10 minute miles during my 10K but I'll be FULLY satisfied if I can just finish the dang thing in 1:06... So you're 8:17 pace makes me want to eat a box of thin mints. Or maybe it's the crack that makes me want to eat a box of thin mints. Either way, that box is going down.
CONGRATS! You're a friggin' supah-stah.

Anna@Exasperation said...

YOUR 8:17 pace, not YOU'RE 8:17 pace. Obviously too much crack in my system to spell correctly...

Patrick and Leigh said...

OK, your butt is not lo-o-o-o-o-ong...that's just the cookie crack talking.

...and as I've already said...I think anyone who can run more than a mile is amazing...so the fact that you rocked this race is awesome!!..and the fact that you're talking about running 26 miles...in succession, (although sounds like crazy talk to me) is pretty awesome

goSonja said...

YIPPPY! So proud of you! AND,your 8:17 first mile is really not so bad for wanting 9 minute pace. At least you toned it down after that. By the way I have no doubt that within a year you will be running entire 1/2 mary's at 8:17 pace. You rock!

Good race execution, your building the blocks for a marathon. So, which one??

Nicole said...

Sonja,

I was toying with the idea of running one more half in 6 weeks in Charlotte, but I think I need to calm down a little and really let my body rest instead of jumping right back into training. I only had 4 weeks between these races, and my entire left leg protested -- from my knee to my shin to my ankle and arch. So I'm trying to be smart and remember that I have my whole life to do this!

Now, as for the full 26.2, I would love to do one in the summer or early fall, but around here that's not even an option. They pretty much quit racing from April until October/November in the south. Regardless, I just can't stomach the thought of running in 90 degree weather when you have 90% humidity. It would be like running in a sauna. I can't run early in the morning because Boone leaves for the gym at 5:00 am.

And I'm not at the level where I can justify the expense to fly all over the place to race (yet!).

So. That leaves me with November/December before I can really run a marathon and not have to travel too far to do it. Right now, I am seriously looking at Charlotte's Thunder Road in December. Augusta actually started a half last year, and that should fall about 4-5 weeks before Charlotte, so I could use that as a tune up race.

I wish I could do one earlier than that, because honestly, I feel a little lost now without an upcoming race to look forward to. I want to be able to maintain at least most of what I have been building on so I don't have to start over in the fall, but I'm not sure how I'll do that over the miserable summer here. Any thoughts?

Betty said...

As I have been from the moment you were born, I am so proud of you! I still get a wonderful feeling when I remember hearing you say, "I am not going to stop just because something is hard." I love you so much! (And, Courtney, just exactly what does "you look a lot like Mom . . . but seriously, you rock" mean? :-))

kugrlover said...

Way to go Colie-Olie....like the others here, I am TRULY impressed by your commitment, dedication and accomplishment. I really miss being able to run, as I am one of a minority of folks who actually enjoy running for exercise. IF I lived close to you and IF I didn't have sciatica and chronic hammy problems, I'd love to be your running partner and pound the pavement with you. Later Gator.