We also didn't do a full birthday party this year because we had so many people coming into town and too many other things to coordinate. Before you start feeling sorry for Rylan read through this whole post. And then add cupcakes at school, a special date night to buy a new outfit at the mall with her grandparents and then eat at the restaurant of her choice, and a whole mountain of gifts. Homegirl has $50 in gift cards to Barnes and Noble, new jewelry, new clothes, Dance Dance Revolution, and an electronic hamster. Trust me, she is thrilled with how her 8th birthday went down.
Here are the gory details for anyone who loves my family so much that they want to see a bazillion photos of us just living life:
After her pizza and cake with just a couple of people, we headed to (yuck, I don't even want to admit it) Chuck E. Cheese. Rylan originally wanted to roller skate on her actual birthday (another yuck, in my book) but the rink was closed on Monday and Tuesday so she (I) was forced to accept option 2.
But she was happy and that's all that matters, right? Right. 100 tokens later we headed home, disinfected our children, and threw them in bed. About 4 hours after that Boone's parents arrived. Too bad our kids don't like them. And too bad they don't like our kids.
We hung out and marinated in our collective awesomeness for 2 days, and on Thursday we increased it by adding my mom and my G'pa to the mix. To celebrate 4 grandparents under one roof, we had the kids skip school on Friday and we high tailed it to the zoo in Columbia.
See? There we are, continuing the honored McQuain tradition of ditching school in the name of something better to do. And let's be honest and say that in Georgia, it's not a difficult task to find more beneficial activities than another day in school.
Per the usual, feeding the lorakeets was the highlight of the trip. G'pa was "avoiding bird poop on his bald head" (translation: he is deathly afraid of colorful birds) so he observed the mayhem from the outside of the enclosure. Ray, on the other hand, dove right in (translation: he LOVES bird poop).
Every time I look at this picture ^^^ of him I start humming, "Feed the birds, tuppence a bag..."
Saturday morning was spent preparing for Rylan's baptism (and by "preparing" I mean being in denial that the day was really here). The hours ticked away until it was time to head to the church. I must say, she looked absolutely beautiful and too grown up for me.
***Side note -- I am going to publish several pictures in this post demonstrating how ridiculous it is to try to get my husband to smile on demand. He is a happy person and smiles all the time in real life, but the man cannot hold a cheeser for a photo to save his life.***
Exhibit A:
Me, upon seeing what I caught on camera: "Boone. Smile. This is a happy time."
Boone: "I can't smile. We've been through this. We've been through this for 12 years. I can't fake a smile."
Me: "Nobody is asking you to 'fake' a smile. Just think of something happy (like, I don't know, WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO DO) and hold that thought for crying out loud!"
Exhibit B:
Alright posterity, you've had enough "posey posey" shots. Moving on.
Branik decided he should conduct things...
So the actual baptism went really well, and when we got home Rylan got a few special baptism gifts, including her own scriptures with her name engraved on the front. Thanks, Dad and G'pa! And thanks to everyone else who brought/sent such sweet keepsake gifts for our girl on her special day.
After the really important part of the day was over, it was time to eat! (Struggling here to not make joke about food always being the really important part of the day...)
Brace yourself for Round 2.
Me: "Come here husband! Let's document that we were here too."
Boone: "Okay -- I'll really try this time."
At this point I could tell he wasn't going to really try and I started laughing, but look how pretty we look!
Whatever. That's me and Boone up there in photo number 3 -- fairly representative of how we are in real life, whether you like it or not:)
Also representative of real life? My mom laughing so hard at the 2010 Grandma DDR Showdown that she nearly peed her pants. Check out how hard G'pa is laughing in the background!
Little did he know his turn was rapidly approaching:
Thanks to everyone who contributed in ways both big and small to making this week a special one for Ry!
16 comments:
You crack me up...how much to get you to post the video of grandpa??
Love it! What do I love? Everything about your family.
I can't believe that Rylan is 16 years old?!? Or at least it seems like she is. She is so mature and gorgeous. DDR showdown looked hilarious. All the pictures turned out great...even the goofy-face Boone pictures.
Congrats to Rylan! I wish we could have been there!
Congratulatins, Rylan! We really, really wish that we could have been there. It is hard to believe that you and Ian are 8 now!!! So grown up. We are very happy for you!
Nicole - great pictures of your family! It looks like you had a wonderful week with family. Someday we'll live closer....
Hopefully if I keep saying it, it will happen. :)
That was a great re-cap of your weekend. Thanks for including us in the festivities. That pic of Rylan and Abby is so cute. Rylan really towers over her doesn't she? My poor midget children. It was great seeing all your family again. They are so much fun. I really want to see that DDR video footage :)
Sarah -- I had the same thought when I saw that picture of Rylan and Abby, but Rylan has heels on those shoes. Your kids are still midgets though;)
I came, I read, I cried.
Great post. Congratulations Rylan on your baptism. That is a big deal! The Grandma DDR showdown has me thinking to Christmas 2010, it's like karaoke, but with the danger of bodily harm.
Your family is gorgeous. Keaton with the birdie, too cute. And no coats at the zoo!?!?! J-E-A-L-O-U-S!
That baptism sure was really nice (minus the part where I was shoving crying Bridger out the door during the program) and you and Boone were such cute proud parents. Thanks for letting us be there.
I want the video. Really I do. What if I come over? Will you show me? Please?
Ditto Sara: Your fam IS gorgeous! Though, Boone would probably look better if he smiled.
Happy big day for the big girl! It kills me to think of my children getting that big! But it's coming quick. We realized this morning that Cameron can officially call himself 6 AND A HALF. The half is a big deal! He was grinning all morning! So, that's like 18 months until he's 96 months like Rylan. And, I'll admit that when I read that I opened my calculator to figure out her actual age in years. And then I felt realy, realy dum.
Your grandpa looks a little like Dick Cheney? Have you ever admitted that to yourself or do you spend a lot of time denying it. Or is he actually Dick Cheney. You'd have a lot of 'splaining to do. Either way I think it's got to be one of Heavenly Father's biggest tricks on you.
and p.s. I kinda love when I see family event photos because I can usually count on some Richards-based goodness thrown into the mix. DELICIOUS!
Anna, Shame on you. (Nicole, it's pregnancy hormones, she didn't mean it.)
Only you could make looking at "a bazillion photos of us [someone else] just living life" so much fun. Really.
Boone, dude, smile. You're such a hansome guy. Your fans want to see you smile! And wear white socks.
Anna,
After 16 hours of denial, I am forced to admit that he does indeed look kind of like Cheney. When I told him you this, his reply was, "Plus, I have a shotgun".
I guess this must prove what a sparkling personality he has (G'pa, not Lord Voldemort) that I overlooked it for so long and let him into my house to play with my children.
But yeah, if he ever comes over with his hunting gear or starts having frequent heart attacks on my couch, I'm gonna start asking questions.
Or also too, if he convinces Boone to invade a country under false pretenses;)
Um, you don't remember that people have actually approached G'pa thinking he IS Dick Cheney? I guess that could happen seeing all the time that ole' former VP spent in Jackson Hole fishing instead of doing something else.
Also, after years of suspecting it, the fact that G'pa would throw down with Ray in DDR proves he really is the COOLEST G'pa ever.
It looks like the weekend went off without a hitch and we are only sorry that we couldn't be there to join in the festivities. Ryan especially, he is waiting for his second chance to cop a feel.
"Plus, I have a shotgun."
And that is why G'pas are Awe to the Some.
Its all about you because you are really breathtaking in the church photos.
JustMe: Are you talking about me? Because I just don't even know how to respond to that. Thanks? I don't think I look that great, but okay!
See, there you go, getting all excited about nothing. I believe that no one looks terrific in every picture they take. But I think in the pictures taken at the church you look stunning. The black dress is cut just perfect for you and it is a wonderful foil to your blond hair.
You look like a beautiful, confident,happy and successful woman in that picture - and that's a good thing.
(Oh - the deleted comment was also me - there was a typo in it)
Post a Comment