Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Hello, lover! (or BIG News, People Part 2)

Yeah, so remember that part where we are moving in 4 months? And remember the part where we have a billion things to pay for (still) and less than a billion dollars (still)? Yeah, me too.

So, when that skanky Kenmore finally bit the dust for real on Monday (after just nibbling at it over the weekend) we had a dilemma:

I want a fancy pants front loader, and so does Boone (although not like I do because let's face it, I do 90% of the laundry around here). But I want a fancy pants front loader with the matching fancy pants dryer and double fancy pants pedestals to boot. The cost for my dream laundry set-up? About $2000.

Now, when you are planning to:
  • leave your current job in 16 weeks
  • start paying for health insurance for a family of 5
  • change licensure from one state to another
  • hire a CPA to look over books
  • hire an attorney to look over contracts
  • fly back and forth across the country at least two times in the next 2 months
  • etc, and so on, and so forth...
...you maybe have other plans for $2000 than a whole new laundry set up (no matter how much you lust after it. Which is a lot.)

On the other hand, it's only been 24 hours and your laundry mountain already rivals K2.

So maybe you go look at cheap top loader options at Lowes/Home Depot/HH Gregg/Sears and realize to get anything remotely functional will cost you $400-$500, which is not anything to sniff at, but also not $2000.

And then you might check Craigslist, find a 4 year old washer for $115 which the guy will deliver for free, and thank your lucky stars for your "new to you and also too only $115 and about 312 times nicer than the piece of scrap metal you've been using for 10 years" washing machine.

Plus? Totally recycled. Awww yeah. +1 liberal point for me.

Here she is in all her glory:

Isn't she beautiful? And quiet? And like triple the capacity of the skanky Kenmore?


Yes. Yes she is.

Amen.

16 comments:

Cilka said...

Okay. I believe it now. Take that Skanky Kenmore. RIP. (Or maybe not so much rest in peace. Maybe rot in He*$!! :)

goSonja said...

So stinkin proud of you, good girl, good choice! We get to be close to each other friends in just a few months? Ohhhhh goodie!

Deb said...

Oh my heavens that WAS a skanky Kenmore. Girl, what did you do to her?

And who knows, maybe your super fine new Denver house will come with a fancy pants front loader with the matching fancy pants dryer and double fancy pants pedestals to boot.

Or maybe it will come with a skanky Kenmore, which would totally suck.

Deb said...

Shoot, forgot to give a shout out to your liberal point. BFO!

Nicole said...

Deb, we bought that washer 10 years ago from a washing machine repair man (actually, we bought a washer AND a dryer for $250, but the washer was already like 20 years old) and the old girl finally just quit spinning.

I spent 2 glorious days hand wringing laundry before throwing it into the dryer. It sucked.

But you know what? I am so proud of myself for literally using something until it was unusable. It was ugly, and it was loud, and it spun off-balance pretty much every load, but my clothes got cleaned for 10 years in that thing for $125.

I hope that within a few years I'll be able to afford the fancy pants front loaders, but in the meantime, I am learning to make do, and be patient, and spend wisely.

Patting myself on the back? Yep. And it feels niiiccce.

Jessica said...

Wow. This is my impressed and mighty proud of you. That would have been a hard choice to make.

Also, why is your washer on the right of your dryer? That's out of order and kind of weird. Just sayin'.

Nicole said...

Jess,

Talk to our idiot builder who put the faucets/plugs that way. And while you have their attention, ask them why the light switches are all wired in a completely nonsensical way too, would you? The ceiling fan should NOT be on the first switch on a double plate. That's where the lights should be, duh.

On the other hand, maybe the washer/dryer set up works well for lefties? Anyone care to comment?

Anna@Exasperation said...

I have several rooms in my house that are wired like that. But your house is PLUMBED backward. You always manage to beat me at these things.
But I just want to put it out there that the washer/dryer combo I've been using since moving in was also too recycled. We bought the set for $300 from some bachelor who was moving across country and selling everything in his house. I also looked at front loaders (hello, so EFFICIENT!) but couldn't handle the cost at the time. Or now. But I've learned what you have learned with your old Skankster machine...recycled machines know they've been adopted into a family of love and will, therefore, act accordingly by living long lives and trying to gain your affections. I'm so proud of your new $115 Wowza (you should totally name it that - including the price...maybe a plaque would be appropriate?). You deserve it after being such a pioneer with your old machine - use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
RIP Skankster!

Chrystapooh said...

This is what I get for taking drugs that make me fall asleep by 9:30 every night: left in the comment dust. Nevermind that the drugs make me stable. I want to be the funny, witty, clever first commenter. Alas, drugs win.

RIP Kenmore. Here's another virtual pat on your back, Colie. I'll give you a real one this afternoon when you pick up Branik.

JustMe said...

So proud of you girl! I too lust after the fancy front loaders with (mind goes blank) those things they sit on. BUT, its just to wash clothes. For that kind of money I can take a vacation.

In my life, if it comes to a choice between buying something or doing a trip - the trip wins every time.

Great buy, I hope it lasts you another 10 years.

Emma said...

Let me just say that even your old Kenmore is a step above what the Army has issued me here. At the moment I'm jealous of anyone who can fit more than 2 pairs of jeans in her washing machine. I'm also jealous of people who don't have to sit in their bathtubs to load their laundry...the list could go on and on. I am EXTREMELY happy for you, however. Oh...and you forgot to add plane tickets to Germany on your list of things to purchase in the next few months. :) I wish....

Jay and Sherrie said...

Sorry it isn't your sweet setup, but yay that you have something better.

Betty said...

Colie, I am so proud of you for wearing that thing out--and then being practical again! Can't wait to see you!

Tiffany said...

Hey, now we have twin washing machines and matching backward set ups...sweet. We must be sisters.

Mike and Kerry said...

You are hilarious! I love reading your posts. Your new washer looks fabulous. I have a front loader and I can't say that I love it (other than it uses less water)... so tell yourself how much money you saved by not buying that one! We are excited for you guys to almost be done. Where are you moving?

Swilor Family said...

Holy Smokes, we have that exact same washer. The cool new to you one, not the skanky one, that would be weird. Just like how I follow your blog even though we just met one time kind of weird. But I took a picture of your cute hair at church the one time we met which must mean we are totally best friends by now!! (Cause that's not weird at all, right?!!) Anyway, just had to say I love your new washer and your blog (that I secretly watch) makes me laugh all the time. You are too cute new BFF!