Wednesday, April 30, 2008

This one's for the boys...

This post is for my bros-in-law and any other dudes who care. I'm not going to spend a lot of time explaining things, because it's really all about the pictures, and if I have to explain to you why these pictures are unique you probably won't appreciate them.

OK I lied. I have to explain them (briefly) or you might not appreciate them, dang it!

Boone and his dad went to Augusta National for Wednesday's practice round for the Masters Tournament this year. It also happened to be the par 3 tournament that day, as well as the last day cameras are allowed on the "sacred greens at Augusta". I'll tell you what, they are gigantic snobs over here about this golf tourney, but it appears they have reason to be that way. The guys said the walking paths at Augusta are nicer than most greens they've seen at other courses. It's just stunningly beautiful, but the only way you'll ever see it in person is to 1) be one of 300 members of the club, 2) be lucky enough to have scored hard tickets to the tourney in the 1970's or 3) sell your soul (or cutest child) to buy tickets from the lucky ones who scored them in the 1970's.

There is no gift shop that you can visit except during Master's week as a ticketed guest, and they will not even allow you to take a picture by the sign at the main entrance "in case a member is trying to come in to play". Whatever. And let's all remember that this hallowed spot is located directly across the street from an abandoned strip mall. It's really bizarre.

Anyway, here are some pictures from the father/son outing of the year...enjoy!



Guess who that is practicing his putting? I'll give you a hint -- it rhymes with "Liger Hoods".

And this threesome was quite the spectacle of the day -- from left to right, Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus, and (swinging the club) Arnold Palmer. Pretty cool stuff.

I think they had fun and I'm hoping Boone will score some tickets for next year so I can go pretend to be filthy rich for a day and applaud men as they hit balls with sticks. Yippee!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

Oh, how I long to just breathe even the air at the abandoned strip mall. This time of year is sweet for linksters like myself. Now I just need to make a lot of money so I can do more of it! Thanks for the pics, and thanks for making me realize I have to change careers to free up some time to go to next year's practice round with Boone.

Ryan