This picture captures perfectly how Keaton feels about his birthday. I know all kids love their birthdays, but Keaton L.O.V.E.S. his birthday. He starts talking about it 6 months beforehand and can hardly stand the excitement once we hit June.
He woke me up at about 6:45 on the morning of his birthday with such unadulterated joy that I couldn't even be irritated, and he didn't quit grinning until he fell into bed that night.
We just had a pretty casual day at home, because that's all Keaton really wants -- friends, presents, a song and a cake. I was surprised at the end of the day how few pictures I had, but I think that's because I videoed quite a few things instead. I know you are all disappointed when I post less than 40 pictures at a time, but this will have to do.
Look at the intense excitement on his face! The great thing is, Keaton is this excited about EVERY present he gets. And on his birthday, he thanks everyone profusely and says, "everyone just loves me today!". It's adorable, and I love his birthday as much as he does because he is just so happy all day.
Friends: check
Presents: check
Cake and song: I'm getting to it
Keaton said for months that he wanted a "Toby" cake (a Thomas character), and then he switched allegiance to Bertie the Bus (also from Thomas). But about 2 weeks before the big day he started saying he wanted "just a birthday cake". We had a hard time figuring out what he meant by that, but when we asked him what specifically made a cake a "birthday cake", he replied that it needed to be round and have sprinkles. No fancy shapes, no writing, nothing exotic -- just a "chocolate fudge birthday cake with sprinkles and a number 5 candle".
So that's what he got, and he was THRILLED. See for yourself:
So it was a happy, happy day for our Keaton, but I think his favorite thing about this birthday was his surprise guest...
(to be continued)
9 comments:
Oh my gosh! Keaton is so stinking CUTE! He has the most contagious smile. The whole time I was reading this and watching the video, I had the biggest smile on my face!
I am so jealous that he is so easy to please. I what I can to make some of my kids happy on their birthday and all they do is complain about something or other. It's annoying. It would be SO nice to have an appreciative kid, that's happy even with the simple things!
The cake does look yummy though...chocolate...yum!
This may have to be my fave post ever because you posted my nephews in both picture and video format.
Additionally, I may have a crush on Keaton. I'm just puttin' that out there. That SMILE!!!
Oooh, a surprise guest! Was it me?
Also too, along Anna's comment's line, is it crazy that Matt (who came in when he heard birthday singing) and I knew you, Boone and, like, half the people in the room even though we live hundreds of miles apart and have never met? Cool, the benefits of membership.
I have my theory on the "just a birthday cake" cake ... yummy chocolate icing instead of icky white-gone-neon icing. Keaton, dude, chocolate icing rocks!
Anna, you can't have Keaton. He's mine. I know, I already have a Keaton. I need two. And he loves me and gives me big hugs and kisses and snuggles every time I see him. Jealous? Yeah, I thought so...
Stephanie: He IS cute as can be, but easy to please? I suppose as long as you get things exactly the way he wants them -- if you blow one detail, however, you pay for it!
Anna: Get in line:) Most people who meet Keaton develop a crush rather quickly. You should see how Chrysta drools over him. Also too, you're welcome for the pics of Team Richards.
Deb: I wish it had been you!
I do so love this aspect of e-life -- the connections you make are as real as can be. This is a horribly sad example, but when Boone came into the room several weeks ago to see me with tears streaming down my face, all I had to say was, "Yvonne died" and he knew immediately who I was talking about. He knows all of you UMC gals, and has been moved to tears more than once by the things you've said on your own blogs or in the comments on mine. (He'll be thrilled that I posted that detail, I'm sure.)
And now that I have killed the festive mood, let me try to restore it by talking about cake.
I agree 100% about the nasty buttercream garbage that comes from store-bought cakes, but Keaton has never had a cake that wasn't made at home (for his birthday, I mean). In fact, I don't know if it even occurred to me that some people buy cakes from the store until I was a teenager.
In any case, most of Keaton's birthday cakes have been somewhat elaborate or at least unusual (volcano cake, Harold the Helicopter cake, etc.) so I think he was trying to say he wanted something that looks like what gets pictured in books when a birthday party is being depicted.
How's THAT for a run-on train-wreck of a sentence?
So a round, chocolate cake with sprinkles was what he got, and I was hugely relieved when he didn't melt down upon seeing it with something along these lines: "But I said I wanted Bertie the Bus for my birthday!" That would have spawned a whole 'nother kind of blog post, believe you me.
Ha! Chrysta was posting at the same time I was! Too funny. I didn't see her comment until after I posted mine:)
The kid has got it right - we are that we might have joy.
Thanks for spreading the joy around with this blog.
One of my favorites ever!
Aweeee Happy Happy Birthday Keaton. I'm sorry I missed it.
Wow! the big 5...
Nicole, I can see why you love his Birthday he looks so happy. Is smile is so cute.
Yes it looks like a wonderful fun day.
Christa just so you know
Keaton Terry is MINE!!!!
Oh my. Keaton "escaping" just lit up my life. I can't get over it. And the other kids looking like zombies circling.
As for your PA trip. I always have to thank Court for posting pics of Kin and Cal because Tiff is such a blogging sour puss... (that's right, Tiff! I said sour puss!)SOOO, my appreciation is extended to you as well! I think we should all secretly converge on them at once sometime... that would make for some lively conversation.
Post a Comment