Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Question

Do you think it's abnormal that when I am speaking to or quoting my friends from England I am totally incapable of refraining from doing so in an English accent? Because I can't not do it. It makes Boone crazy, which is sort of the best part.

Also too, it takes me all of about 3 minutes around them to start saying things are "lovely", "wonky", "brilliant", "dodgy", etc. And maybe I also say "bullox", which I think might be atrociously profane. Don't tell me if it is, because I like how it sounds and I don't want to stop saying it.


9 comments:

JustMe said...

I'm rather disappointed that you find it necessary to go "across the pond" for your expressions. After all the time you spent in the south, you should have more than enough colorful expressions. Bless your heart honey, y'all just got on up to the big house now, ya hear.

Deb said...

I bet "also too" sounds bloody great in an English accent.

Nicole said...

Oh this isn't the first time I've done this Sallie. I WOULD slip into southern drawl anytime I was getting my hair done or spent more than a few minutes with the preschool teachers at Trinity Baptist. I think a few spontaneous "y'all"s even fell out of my mouth over the course of 6 years.

But for whatever reason, I think everything is dramatically funnier when said with an English accent.

I just wonder if other people lack these urges to mimic the people they are speaking with and I'm a freak?

Emma said...

Oh, I have the urge. I just can't pull it off. When are you going to put on a German accent for my benefit???

Emma said...

Oh, I have the urge. I just can't pull it off. When are you going to put on a German accent for my benefit???

Jessica said...

I like it. I like it a lot.

I don't necessarily mimic an accent, but I do pick up on phrases if I am around someone for a long time- like my sister. She always has the best slang and I find myself using it after I visit her.

Come back.

Jenna said...

It's so nice to hear I'm not the only one!! I pick up on Southern accents, Australian and English, never intentional, just blending in I guess. I wouldn't worry about it unless people think you are making fun of them.

Shell said...

Abnormal? no. Funny? yes. ~ when I get my drink on there is a total civil war happening with my accent~ I'm a born & bred Jersey girl who's been living in NC for 7 years..funnier than all get out!

Chrystapooh said...

Sigh. I miss you.