Will somebody please explain to me why there are always crumbs in the silverware holder drawer? It is across the room from the food prep area of our kitchen and the only thing that goes in there is CLEAN SILVERWARE. So what the heck is that all about? It makes me crazy!
And while we're on the subject of weird things happening in my kitchen, let's all take a look at what I did with the literal fruits of our family's labor last week, shall we?
That's right, I actually MADE strawberry and triple berry jam all by myself like a real wife and mother! Are you as shocked as I am that I did something that domestic in the kitchen? You should be (if you aren't, you probably don't know me well enough to be reading my blog, stalker). I still startle a little when I look in the pantry and see 24 jars of homemade jam that I am responsible for. It's like the twilight zone or something.
Anyway, we had a lot of fun picking the strawberries last week...
Branik was a super helper and did his part as the quality control inspector...

He was totally covered in berry juice by the time we left and diapers were a blast (pun intended) the next day, but he was happy!

Keaton didn't actually pick anything -- he just used Harold (the helicopter) as a cropduster -- but we were totally thrilled that he basically stuck by us and hung out.

Rylan ate twice as many as she picked, but she eventually got about half a bucket full and for that we thank her. What's awesome is that she will eat 23 pounds of fresh berries, but once I mushed them up and added sugar, she told me she doesn't like all the "berry chunks" in the jam. Whatever. More for me and Boone.
*side note -- I still can't get over that strawberry season in Georgia arrives in mid-April -- what's up with that?
7 comments:
That rotisserie chicken was good, dang it! And Sara, bless her little quilt-making heart, didn't bring me gourmet Target chocolate when I got out of the hospital. Plus, I know if if grovel enough, I can weasel a jar of jam out of you. I'll just eat Rylan's share since she's not interested :)
What fun! I am so impressed with my little domestic friend. It would be a lot of fun to live close so you could share your talents with me!
I really miss the yummy fruit in Virginia. It is a pretty lame selection in Colorado and very expensive. When is peach season in Georgia? Year-round? Peaches and strawberries are my favorite fruit!
Love, Becca
P.S. I agree with Rylan...to my mother's disappointment, I have never enjoyed jam (I have issues with the chunks also found in yorgurt...it's a texture thing). My kids and husband love it though!
Oddly enough, I am with Rylan. I love fresh fruit but I don't like jam. Once you get the gooey consistency, it is gross to have chunks. I do need to make some jam, though, because my kids love it. How do you do it? I can't wait to go get our own strawberries!
What is up with all the jam haters?!? Am I totally missing something here? I never knew I existed in social circles where jam is not an acceptable topping. Go figure.
I really need to go to this strawberry patch. It looks like you guys had a wonderful time.
I have also pondered the unponderable....why are there crumbs in the silverware drawer. The only answer I can come up with is that occasionally the drawer is not completely closed when I prepare food or wipe off counters and crumbs just fall in. But really, it doesn't make any sense. Are you up for another trip to the strawberry patch? I was thinking of going Monday...
All I know is that one bottle of chunky jam better find its way to my house. The chunkier the better. And way to go stocking that food storage and being all domestic-like. I don't even know how to use mason jars, so maybe I'll have to come visit this time next year and you can teach me.
Post a Comment