"Mom, is that a real kitten?"
Me: (peering from behind the computer to check the screen)
"Yep."
Rylan: (eyebrows scrunching, lip starting to quiver, tears welling up)
Me: (What the...?)
Rylan: "That's so cute (gulp) I think I'm going to cry!" (immediate sobbing commences, Rylan runs towards me and throws herself into my arms)
(Sob, sob, sob -- now wiping nose on my shoulder -- gasping for breath like she's been kicked in the stomach)
Me: (Are you freaking kidding me? She can't be serious. Maybe she thinks the kitten is dying? Please tell me she thinks it's dying. Maybe they said the mother got run over by a car and she's all broken up over the thought of me ground into the pavement. OK, let's clarify here...)
"Rylan, calm down. Why are you so upset? Mommy's not going to d---"
Rylan: (Through stifled sobs) "Sometimes there are two reasons to cry: one is if you are sad, and the other is if you are happy -- (really taking it up a notch now) --and that little kitten is so cute I just can't help it!" (again burying her head in my shoulder).
Yeah. And then over 2 hours later she burst into tears again looking at one of our cats because it "reminded her of that precious little kitten".
Heaven help me. And her future husband.

P.S. Quit laughing, Mom. I was NEVER that bad.
13 comments:
She's for sure 100% girl! Don't let her watch the series finale of Full House. That one used to have me crying for days. :) Waaaah!!! I can't wait to see you guys in exactly 1 month!!!!
The other reason to worry is all the boys to whom she is already betrothed. Just last night at bedtime, Hudson said something about "when Rylan gets married to me..." and I was trying so hard to stifle my giggles that I missed what came next. Poor Hudson, though. He's going to have to be leaving on his mission just when Ian Patterson is coming home. Maybe she'll throw them both under the bus and run off with Jayden, who knows? All I know is that it's going to be nothing but non-stop drama at your house in a few years. Just ask Sara.
And my kids survived the day just fine, thankyouverymuch. The laundry on the other hand... not so much.
I'm just grateful Chrysta didn't say anything about me in relation to this post. Because I was NEVER that bad (close, but not quite).
Good luck. I don't even want to think about it yet.
All I can say is, wow. Intense. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and she'll work it out of her system now. Maybe when she's a teenager she'll be clear headed and logical. But then, maybe not...
Um, Anna, yes you were. And Nicole, I'm probably more prone to believe your mom on this one.
Oh please, Chrysta. Like you have ever seen me fall apart/sob uncontrollably for no good reason.
Oh please, Chrysta. Like you have ever seen me fall apart/sob uncontrollably for no good reason.
Crap. Nicole already used that one.
That is so precious! I think I'm going to cry.
I think we'll let mom be the jury on this one. All I can say is the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.....
But who can't love how sweet she is? At least she isn't telling her younger siblings that THEY did something to cause that kitten to need to feed from a bottle or that they killed it or something. Cause, what kind of sister would THAT make Rylan ;)
Nicole,
I don't often get an invitation to be judge AND jury, so I can't pass up this opportunity! You not only cried over the plight of kittens, you rescued caterpillars and guinea pigs and gave them homes. (Remember Ashley and Surprise?) I see tenderness as a virtue and I am so happy to see that trait emerging in my grandchildren!
Love you,
Mom
Post a Comment