
So I sort of went to the pool today for the first time in over 7 years. Well, the first time without children in my arms in over 7 years, anyway. Since I am trying to rest this bum leg of mine I figured I should take all the advice I've been given to start swimming/pool running. I have been meaning to re-learn how to swim for years now, mostly because I want to do a triathlon someday and the swimming part terrifies me. The stress fracture just sort of shoved me into the deep end a little more forcefully.
Anyway, it turns out I suck at swimming. Specifically, the breathing part. I don't feel all that spazzy actually moving my body through the water, it's just that I can't seem to coordinate the whole "get rid of your carbon dioxide and exchange it for oxygen" thing. I'm stumped. I feel like I am gasping for breath mid-way through the lap -- like I can't breath deeply enough to do any good. And no matter how hard I tried today, I could NOT exhale under water. I think that was the problem -- not having enough time during a breath to exhale and inhale before putting my head back in. I did a lot (and by a lot I mean not very much) of backstroking just because I can breath while I do that, but I SOOO wanted to look as cool as Sarah did while she butterflied her way down and back, down and back. I guess it helps to have been on the swim team, eh?
Here's what surprises me though: 5 years ago, if I had experienced what I just went through at the Y, I would have said, "I suck at this -- I'm doing something else instead to avoid looking stupid". But today, I came out of there saying, "I suck at this, but I won't ever get better at it if I don't go through this part first. And who am I trying to impress? The 75 year olds floating on their pool noodles?"
I know I look like I am drowning right now, and technically I think I sort of might be. But I am going to stick to it, ask for advice on the breathing thing, and if I don't improve, I'll pay for a few private swim lessons until I master the breathing part.
And this concludes today's "Why I like myself more now than I did 5 years ago" motivational thought. (I credit running those races for my attitude shift, by the way. I can't wait to get back to it!)
P.S. This is the part where you swimmers out there fix me simply by leaving comments. Go on now, I'm waiting...
10 comments:
The breathing part I get. I can't help you with it because I only get it in my head and if I tried to explain it...well, I might be the cause of you dry-drowning one day. So no help there. My problem with swimming seems to be endurance. I can run for miles (I meant that to say FOUR miles - That was the limit I hit before Stress Fracture Tibby kicked in), but when it comes to swimming I'm gasping after a lap or two...
So yeah. Good luck with that. If you need me I'll be the vampire-pale one over there in the splash pool.
I LOVE swimming!!!!! Love it. Love it. Love it. My teaching techniques however are sub par in person, let alone in your comment section. I'll send you an email...
Man, I've been trying to think of something to add to your discussion, but unfortunately I'm one of the chicks hanging out with the elderly while clinging to a noodle with my skirt floating around my neck.
I did go swimming once with Sara, real swimming, with lanes and all. As I recall, I was stuck in the lanes with the elderly then as well, the slow lanes where you hope the current moves you to and fro. Anyway, in the time it took me to doggie paddle up and back, she was finished with her 100 laps. So she's your gal.
There you have it, I took Deb swimming and left her to fend for herself amongst the turtles. Also too, I failed to mention the raccoon-eye side effect of goggle wearing.
Yes, but I survived. That's my point.
(The point was NOT that Sara stuck me in that lane with the turtles.)
Colie, not only was Sara on the swim team, but she swam DIVISION I at Bucknell - at least until she decided that other typical college pursuits were more fun. This was, ahem, prior to her baptism, of course ;P And she can smoke my tri-athlete bro in the pool with one arm tied behind her back. She really is your gal when it comes to swimming.
P.S. As soon as I can breathe without hacking up a lung, I'll come drown with you, and we can both look on with envy as Sarah butterflies her way up and down the lanes...
hmmm... can't help too much... but ryan can. will ask him when he gets home. I pretty much suck at lap-swimming for the same reasons...
Nicole you seriously did so awesome. I am mad at you for writing all of this nonsense. :) The breathing will come. Sorry, I'm not a very good teacher. I probably explained everything wrong. But even though you felt like you were drowning or suffocating, you looked like you knew exactly what you were doing and I wouldn't just say that. You have very good form and balance which is much more than most people can say on their first try. You looked legit. Totally know what you mean about not caring about how you look to anyone and liking yourself better. You go girl!
ha ha! See, it seems like when I try to go swimming (3 times in the last year) that the 75 year olds in the lap lanes next to me, or the giant old ladies, kick my butt and are so much faster then me. But awesome that you're a better person! Good onya! And seriously, Jess read McYummy and called me in and we just laughed and laughed. So...you're awesome!
Keep with it! I was so there with you several years ago. It's work, but it's a challenge. You will get it if you persevere and keep a ++++ attitude!
Post a Comment