Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Myrtle Beach 2009

Alrighty. Moving right along to summer...

We had so much fun last year that we headed back out to Myrtle Beach as soon as school was out. It's a great time to visit because most schools haven't finished up yet but it's still warm enough to play in the water. We tricked the Galan family into coming with us and were also joined by Boone's parents because they invite themselves on all of our cool trips:) Which we love, because then we don't have to work as hard.






Pretty obvious/generic playing in the sand pictures, but my kids are in them so I think they're just smashing. If you don't agree...well...a pox on you!


Okay, so it's no secret that I love me a good meal. So when I read the reviews for Rioz Brazilian Grill I knew we had to go. Turns out it was Ray's birthday so we had an excuse to indulge, and indulge we did. The food was divine, the service outstanding (they even forgave Sarah for stealing their bread-stuffed napkin and rewarded her for returning it by making her more bread).


See how happy food makes me? Happy, and also a bit unstable from the looks of this picture.



The kids ate for free and were treated so well! They all got chicken nuggets delivered to them on a sword, and their own silver platters of mac and cheese and fries, plus they could eat any meat they wanted and anything from the salad bar. Awe. Some.



Keaton and his Nana enjoying the night. No picture, but the Key Lime Pie was embarrassingly good.



That kid inhaling Red Vines? That is my son. Amen.



Ahhh, the "crab-itat". So Rylan is frolicking in the surf one afternoon and catches a hermit crab. I take the above picture to document the event, thinking it was pretty lucky that she caught one alive. Boy was I wrong.


The kids continued to successfully hunt for hermit crabs in the low tide, eventually opting for buckets to hold dozens at a time. (Do you see my little buddy in the upper left? I love this picture because of that little hidden Keaton).


After an hour or so, Keaton gave up to focus his energy on river building. It's important work, especially on beaches. But while Keaton was digging his rivers, our "beach neighbors" caught our crabitat vision and joined in.



I am not exaggerating when I tell you that ALL of these people were finding crabs to bring to our masterpiece, which Boone and Perry worked on for hours -- first digging the pool and then reinforcing the inner wall with mussel shells. Those two were like little boys digging in the sand all day long, but I'll admit they had everyone impressed more than once!



We ended up with well over a hundred crabs in the pool and I have video proof, but it takes too freaking long to upload videos so you'll just have to trust me. Or come to my house and I'll show you in person. At which point I'll know you don't trust me and I'll quit speaking to you. Just keepin' it real.


Branik missed all the excitement when he decided to put himself down for a nap on the beach. We draped towels over his head to shade his face, and he slept like this for over 2 hours.



And yes, I am actually posting a picture of Boone and I in bathing suits. Why? Because although we gross ourselves out now (cue Boone saying, "I look like I have a boob!"), in 20 years we'll look back and say, "Dagnabbit! We were youngin's back then!"



Pretty much the whole trip went beach, eat, then beach again, then eat again. Sounds like heaven, doesn't it?! It was. Even Avery agreed that food was cause for extreme happiness.




Then I flipped the camera and took this one of me and Branik. Have I already mentioned that I have an amazing talent for taking pictures of myself at arms length? Because I so totally do. This photo has not been cropped in any way. I just rock like that. Jealous?



Ray and Keaton braving the waves. These two would stay in the water all day if we'd let them. Well at least until the sand castle construction began.


Once again, the boys had passers-by snapping photos of their handiwork. We actually stood on the balcony of the hotel and watched the tide eventually wash this monster flat. I swear, boys don't really change, they just get bigger toys and more patience.


The Ripley's Aquarium has like a 75% discount for military members, so we spent some time there again this year. Here's Keaton with his Nana again (still).



And the 3 amigos of Myrtle Beach...




...and a pretty funny shot I got of a sting ray. Say cheese!







Branik kind of looks stoned in this picture, but I promise he wasn't. Maybe hung over from all the Red Vines. We all played with the horseshoe crabs again and had a smashing good time.

We loved Myrtle Beach but we had to hit the road for the second leg of our trip. Can you believe your luck that I still have 10 whole days' worth of pictures to post? And that's just until the first week in June! I have about 7 more events after that! Are you starting to grasp why this has been such a daunting task for me to undertake? Sigh. I am so great to appease all of you by blogging every last second of my life for you.

You're welcome, friends. You're welcome.

10 comments:

Emma said...

Oh, that looks like so much fun. SO MUCH FUN! Dang it, when are you going to come to Germany so we can go on vacation together?!

Nicole said...

Emma, I'll be there just as soon as I can drive to Germany in 4 hours and spend $30 on transportation!

Trust me, I am already looking at fares to Frankfurt...

Anonymous said...

The hidden-Keaton picture totally reminds me of "Where's Waldo?" I think it's great. And as for the Sports Illustrated shot of you and Boone, I believe my first response went something like, "Daaaaang!" (In a good way!) :)

Also, I love you all to pieces, and you still make me laugh harder than just about anybody I know. Basically.

P.S. word verification= "doxianin"?? Sounds like a denture cream to me...

Shell said...

Food = Sheer Happiness. It's a fact. Looks like you had an awesome time and yay for the military discount @ Ripley's we were just there last week and I was less than thrilled with it- and their prices- they need a UMC discount :p

Anna@Exasperation said...

EVERYONE needs a UMC discount. I mean, come ON.
Fun summer pictures and holy schmoly you look great. That's obnoxious. Seriously. Eat more. GI! :)

Deb said...

Man, last I saw you were getting married and -- Boom Boom Pow -- all this stuff happened! Your beach pictures, along with Chrysta's, have me all sorts of worked up for August's camping trip to the beach.

Boone looks good with his boob, and with a hot chick on his hip. Fancy.

I'm feeling your long-overdue=bloggin pain. Now it seems to overwhelming to actally start anywhere. So I'll just read yours and pretend it's my blog.

Deb said...

Enough typos for you? I just got a new keyboard about 30 minutes ago and I hate it. Typing is actually painful. Plus I'm too lazy to proof it. Bad combo. My apologies.

Boone said...

Mooooo...Boone said to his blogself.

Jessica said...

1. Boone is funny.

2. You look so hot in that picture of you and Branik. I am impressed by the picture itself but mostly I'm impressed at how hot you are.

3. Now I am going to feel a little silly posting our Myrtle Beach pictures because they look just like yours, only the children are different.

4. How many vacations are you going to take in a 3 month period? Good grief!

5. That's all. I like you.

Betty said...

Looks like so much fun! The sand castles were awesome!