Friday, July 24, 2009

Pee-Yay!

This is what I looked at from Kill Devil Hills all the way to Erie, PA. Captain Huggie Face (the monkey) was an absurdly popular acquirement from Wendy's - so much so that he got to ride with Keaton's other car pals, Thomas and "rescue Helicopter" that Grandma Hawkins gave him like 2 years ago. Looks like a pretty sweet ride if you ask me.

COUSINS!!! Our kids were so happy to see McKinley and Calum and to stay in an actual house with actual toys in it. They love the beach, but I think after a week of sun and sand they were ready for a little more normalcy.

The boys had a good time playing computer games together. And by "playing computer games together" I mean "Bran and Cal watching Keaton attempt Webkinz or something".


See? Fun. Being had. Where were the girls you ask?



Hangin' around (har har har!) Kinley was pretty stinking brave on Boone's pull up bar thingy (that he actually brought with us on vacation -- don't get me started). I love her ninja costume too. I think it makes her look dangerous in a 4 year old girl kind of way.

When I get together with my sister(s), we do 3 things consistently: we eat a lot, we stay up until 1:00 or 2:00 in the morning every night talking, and we watch movies. Mostly Jane Austen, sometimes old musicals. With the subtitles on. Because the Collards make us (no really though, you do get so much more of the dialogue!)

Anyway, check, check, and check on our standards. This time we also mixed in an outing to the movie theater to see "Up" (awesome movie -- bring your Kleenex), and our kids' first trip to Chuck E. Cheese.

Yes, you read that right. First trip. Actually Rylan may have been once before, I can't be sure. I have a little bit of a germ issue, but Tiff has an even bigger germ issue than me, so when she cleared it I trusted her judgment. I'm glad I did, because it was pretty fun to watch the kids go nuts.



Also? I am such a stud at Skee Ball. It's almost as amazing as my "photo of self from arms length" talent. I just thought you should know.

Did I mention the part where we eat a lot? And maybe we sort of plan the trip around what we are going to eat and when? It's a group effort...



...but SOME of us go the extra mile:)




Sorry Tiff, it was too good to leave on the memory card. At least that kid is on the outside now, right? You love me, I know.

We also took a little outing to a nature center thing and walked around. Could I have written a worse sentence? I think not. But let's be honest -- you don't care anymore and really, neither do I. It's taking longer to recap the vacation than it did to live it. Here are some pictures of us looking at naturey stuff:



This was pretty cool -- they had what was basically a beehive inside a window pane so you could watch the bees work. If you put your face up next to the glass you could feel the vibrations. Creepy.

After the inside portion we headed out of doors to wander the trails. We transplanted southerners were freezing our tushies off in the 55 degree weather, but we managed to survive.


There was a lot of this view on the trail. Really, there is a lot of this view in my life: Keaton running away from me with every ounce of strength in his body. Some days I don't blame him.


I don't know where Cal was for this picture. Sorry Camo!


Yep, I've still got it. And nope, Boone can't smile in a picture to save his life. I've given up after 11 years. You'll just have to take my word for it that he is blissfully happy to be near me whenever possible.

We had such a great time with the Collard fam, and Keaton really latched onto his Uncle Abram this trip. He is such an affectionate little guy anyway, but this time I think he made a new best friend.



Look at his face in the last two pictures. Pure. Adoration. On Keaton's side too:)

PA, you were good to us, but next time I'd like to order up at least 70 degrees so I don't have to reset my internal thermostat to survive. Big thanks to Tiff and Abe for being awesome hosts and cramming into one bedroom to accomodate us. And yes, we were awesome enough visitors that we let my very pregnant sister give up her bed and sleep on the couch with a frozen cookie sheet glued to her feet. You don't argue with her when she's pregnant -- you just do as you're told. And we all know, I'm nothing if not subservient.

Goodbye cousins! We'll see you at Christmas! (Hint, hint)

6 comments:

Deb said...

You had me at "Pennsylvania."

HA! Tiff's picture is hilarious. She's so tiny that it literally looks like the spaghetti is popping out her belly.

But, the bees made me think of ticks.

Nicole said...

Man, I really blew it with the tick story didn't I? Methinks it a good thing none of you were there to deal with it in person.

And that picture of Tiff? She still had 2 months to go. She grows the most awesome pregnant bellies I have ever seen. I pretty much carry babies in my fat face, but she just grows straight out.

Sara K. said...

Nicole, have you learned nothing from Bed in this past year? A more appropriately named titled would have been, "Pee-Yay."

Loved your vacay recap. Were you gone for like 2 months? That's a lot of family togetherness.

So looking forward to cousins and food in Tennessee next week. *wink* *wink* to both of you...

Nicole said...

Sara, thank you for correcting me! I make HUGE mistakes like that when I blog after midnight. It's been fixed.

Anna@Exasperation said...

Those keaton pics at the end are. awesome. Looks like someone has a man-crush!
Sounds like a great vacay (which shouldn't really need to be stated because you already said, "Pee Yay" and it's just redundant to say it's great).
I can't wait for my vacation. Of course, I'm only taking one....:)

The Galan Family said...

Love your posts as always. Man, you are really showing me up with all these updates. Will you come over here and blog and upload all of our pictures from Cali? That's what I need... a personal blogger, because I have given up.