Thursday, August 6, 2009

I Feel Sorry for You

Why? Because unless you are me (which you are not) or one of my 3 sisters, this man is not your grandpa:



And you are SO missing out.

My kids and my sisters' children come in a close second, having lucked into having him as a great grandpa, but I still think I am the luckiest of the bunch because I have known him the longest.

My grandpa is one of my absolute favorite people and we were lucky enough to have him come out to visit us on Keaton's birthday! Actually? Luck had nothing to do with it. It was more "conspiracy" than luck. My sister Tiffany and I just bought him tickets and then told him he was coming. He told us we were rude, spoiled brats with no respect for our elders. Sounds about right.





We spent most of his week here hanging out at the pool (counting "tats", right G'pa?), listening to stories, and stuffing our faces with ice cream and cinnamon rolls (thanks Jess!) to the point that he canceled an upcoming doctors appointment because he didn't want to do the weigh in:) That's my kind of man!

His visit also happened to coincide with Boone and I's 11th wedding anniversary, so we did the standard romantic anniversary celebration of driving with our 3 kids and my grandfather to Atlanta to watch a Braves game in 100 degree weather! And then turning around and driving 2 hours home right after the game with a car full of angry children until 2:00 am. Hello romance!


Can you feel the passion?


Really, though, it WAS a fun night, especially when we were sure we weren't going to have to drag G'pa's corpse back to the car. When you are from Idaho Falls and are used to 70 degree weather, 100 degrees of humid Georgia air can be a little much. You'll notice in the pictures that we marched him clear up to the second to last row of seats because we were too cheap to pay for better seats with 6 tickets to buy. Once we knew he was still conscious, we rewarded him with a big fat Diet Coke, a hot dog, and a bag of Cracker Jack. He forgave us after that.

Here's Gpa and Branik having a "weirdest mouth" contest. I think Branik won, because at least G'pa is eating.



Maybe he was just stunned at the sights and sounds of his very first major league game. It was actually the first for both of the boys, and Rylan doesn't remember the Indians games we took her to in Cleveland, so it was sort of a first for her too. They liked the baseball part alright, but were most excited for the fireworks after the game. It was good times in Hotlanta.

I need to insert the following disclaimer on the last set of pictures from Grandpa's visit:

I, Nicole, do solemnly swear, that I will never again for the remainder of my life post photographs of individuals playing Guitar Hero. For pictures of people playing video games are, in my totally perfect opinion, the stupidest pictures of all time (no disrespect). Watching people stare at a TV out of the shot with gaping mouths just is NOT interesting.

That is, of course, unless you happen to be playing with your grandfather. Amen.




Yeah, you only WISH your grandpa was this cool.

Seriously, I am so lucky to have this man in my life. We have been close since the day I was born, and I am really grateful he was able to come spend time with our family this summer! I love him a billion, and love introducing him to all my friends because I am just so proud that I am one of only 4 people in the world who get to claim him. Basically, I like to say "Isn't he the best?! You can't have him."

Happy Birthday G'pa. You're my favorite grandpa ever, and I've adored you from the beginning (proof below:)

11 comments:

Cilka said...

That's fun that your G'pa was able to come out and that you guys had such a good time. You and Courtney and Caitlyn look so much alike in that first picture...sorry Tiff, but you don't look a thing like them. :)

P.S. I want to see some pics of Keaton with his present from us!

Jessica said...

I am not going to disagree. He's cool. Even cooler now that I know he plays Guitar Hero. I'm so glad you posted those pictures. He's the funniest Grandpa I've met thus far. You should invite him over again...like next week.....mmmkay?

JustMe said...

Such a sweet post. It almost made me teary. Lucky you to have a wonderful grandfather, and how lucky for your children they get to know him.

(My word verification is DUMBR - kind of worries me)

The Galan Family said...

When I saw the title to this post I totally thought it was going to be about the urine bag! Dang! Seriously though... I love your Grandpa too. Mostly because he tells me secrets and thinks its funny to make fun of you to me. The fact that he played guitar hero, can talk to anyone about anything, and fit it anywhere he goes. He's da bomb diggity! And yes, I am jealous...that you have the coolest grandpa, (not of the urine bag :)

Deb said...

I feel sorry for me, too.

I have looked through your pictures over and over, and I just love them. Particularly the ones on the couch, with grandpa genuinely just loving his family. And Guitar Hero with my grandpa is completely unimaginable. How fun, you lucky, lukcy girl.

Anonymous said...

Funny, because that's almost verbatim for me, the whole "Isn't he great? He's mine, not yours" part. All the kids my age in his ward and stuff that have the nerve to think they can call him Grandpa, I have the obligation to swiftly remind them that they are sorely mistaken, and he is in fact mine, not theirs. :) So, agreed: We totally lucked out, and have the best grandpa EVER.
P.S. Seeing pictures of Grandpa playing guitar hero is possibly the best thing I have ever seen in my life

Winn Family said...

i LOVE it!!! Cause for real, i know my grandparents BARELY--and how freaken great is that that you are so close to yours! Awesome, and he seems so so so great! Congrats! (and for real---sorry bout all the urinary fun....that's lame)

Anonymous said...

You forgot the part about how your Grandpa has only about two degrees of separation between him and pretty much anyone else he meets. If that. I still can't believe he knows the guy who baptized my parents. Weird weird weird. (I haven't been able to remember how to spell that word in English since moving to Germany nearly seven years ago. Sorry if I guessed wrong.)

Good to see you getting back to your normal self. One urine bag down, one cast and accompanying set of crutches to go. See you Sunday!!!

Anna@Exasperation said...

What? He knows the guy that baptized my 'rents!? What the what what?!
Grandpa's are cool.

Nicole said...

Anna: Apparently he works in the temple with the guy. It took about 5 minutes from the second they were introduced to each other until they realized they had mutual friends. Like Chrysta said though, the crazy thing is that he can do that with just about everyone -- it's unreal.

Anyway, he said when he got home to Idaho Falls and told the guy he'd met your parents, the guy (sorry I don't remember his name) got all goosebumpy and sort of teared up a bit.

So yeah, he's cool like that.

Courtney said...

True dat.

People don't even know what they are missing out on.