Sunday, April 5, 2009

Keaton Update



Well, Keaton was finally diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. That is the diagnosis that we were expecting, and we are confident that the developmental pediatrician got it right. I wrote before that Asperger's is basically mild autism, but the doctor who diagnosed Keaton described it to me as "autism, but with communication skills". She spent a good amount of time playing with him, testing him, asking me questions, and just watching him. He scored well on his IQ test of sorts, with standard scores being 70-120, and Keaton's scores coming in at 108, 112, and 127. This tells us his cognitive abilities are on the high end of normal, and that his case has much more to do with social skills and sensory integration issues than intelligence. The doctor was floored by his fine motor skills, telling me she had never in 30 years seen a 4 year old copy a star as well as Keaton did.

Anyway, after all her evaluating was done, she simply turned to me and said, "Keaton has Asperger's Syndrome. You didn't cause it, it's just how he was born. Therapies may help a little, a lot, or not at all. Do you have any questions?" Ummm...only about a million. But they are questions that nobody can answer.

So. Now what?

Autism Awareness Day was earlier this week, and I read several articles online that covered many of the issues faced by individuals with disorders, as well as the parents of autistic children. The one that I related to the most was an article written by parents who were troubled by the way others viewed their children. One mother in the article was counseled to tell people who gave her withering looks in the store/doctor's office/church, "This is what autism looks like -- my son has a disability" and then walk away. I can't tell you how many times Keaton's behavior has embarrassed me in public, or how many times I have been on the receiving end of a dirty look during one of his meltdowns.

Now I know every child has tantrums, and nearly every parent has had the wonderful experience of dealing with an irrational child in public. You may have even had the dirty looks and nasty comments that I get with Keaton. But add to that the pain of knowing that your child cannot help it, will likely never be "normal", and that he is being judged and labeled by ignorant people. It is devastating.

What can I do to help protect myself and my child from all of the criticism? I can keep working with his therapists and teachers and doctors to find coping strategies that work for Keaton, and I can try to educate people about what Asperger's looks like -- at least for our family.

To that end (and also to document where we are today), I am going to update many of the things I wrote in my earlier post before we had our diagnosis.

Keaton is now attending a Special Education Pre-K class three days a week in addition to his "regular" preschool. This was a tough decision for us. Was Keaton going to regress being in a classroom full of children with special needs? Wouldn't it be better for him to be with children who WERE developing normally so he can see how typical 4 year olds behave? I was so torn over the decision, and thought I had made a terrible mistake by agreeing to let him go.

But then I went to talk to his teacher, who out of the blue explained to me why Keaton needed to be there. She said, "At the other school, Keaton is expected to sit at a table, do worksheets, and keep quiet. The problem is that Keaton can already read and write, so the worksheets are a waste of time for him. What he needs is encouragement to talk to his peers -- to interact with them, to practice asking them questions about themselves and to learn how to be a friend."

As soon as she said it, I knew she was right. And wouldn't you know it, within a month Keaton has made progress. His speech therapist told me last week that the last 4 sessions in a row have been drastically different. That at first she thought he was just having an "on" day, but it's been a month of great cooperation, increased eye contact, and better conversation.

Keaton is still struggling with his syntax -- "Did you hope you see that whale is grey?". He asks questions all day long that he knows the answer to -- "Is that Harold? Is that Harold? Is he a helicopter? Is Thomas blue? Are these my new shoes? (No) Are these my old shoes? (Yes) Did you tell me they are old shoes? (Yes, Keaton) But are they new? (No Keaton) Just old? (Yes, Keaton)".

I'll be honest. It's maddening some days. I still have to acknowledge EVERY. SINGLE. BUS. we pass on the road, and if I say, "No more talking about buses Keaton", that little boy starts to cry quietly in the car and beg me, "Mommy, PLEASE just say 'Yes Keaton, it's a bus'..."

Keaton is also still struggling with some social skills -- specifically, being interested and/or concerned with other peoples' feelings. It doesn't occur to him naturally that he should ask what anyone else wants to do. He doesn't understand that if it makes HIM sad to have a toy taken by another child that TAKING a toy away makes somebody else sad. This would be typical for a 2 year old, but not for a nearly 5 year old. It makes it very difficult for Keaton to have friends, because other children do not like his constant questions and his lack of interest in their opinions during playtime. He doesn't really get invited to play with anyone, which we understand, but makes us ache for him and the day he realizes he's being left out.

He is making some progress in that department though, and we try to focus on the good bits of news. For example, about 2 weeks ago we had a gorgeous evening and Boone decided to take the kids on a walk while I went for a run. We have a 1 mile loop in our neighborhood, so I ran around the loop, waving to and passing the rest of the family as they walked. When I finished running I joined them to head home, and as I reached down to take Keaton's hand, he looked up at me and said, "How was your run, Mommy?"

I almost cried. I asked Boone if he had coached Keaton to ask the question, and he said "no". It may seem like nothing, but to have him ask how I felt about something I did without being prompted is HUGE. I can't think of a single other time he has asked a similar question. But now I know he can do it, and I have hope that it will become a more regular thing for him.

He is still struggling to follow directions without a lot of repeated prompting. In fact, some days he acts like he isn't hearing us at all. We have had his hearing tested more than once and know that the problem is not with his ears -- it's with his brain. This is probably my biggest concern as far as his ability to succeed in school goes. We are hopeful that he will be able to attend a regular kindergarten class in the fall, but he may need an aide to help him stay on task.

Church is even harder for him. Honestly, it is pretty unreasonable to expect ANY 4 year old to sit quietly through 3 hours of anything (ask my mom how developmentally inappropriate that is), but add Asperger's and you have a nightmare on your hands. Keaton is so stressed out when he comes home from church that he usually collapses onto the floor, pulls his blanket over his head, and sucks his thumb. I feel the same way most of the time. The people, the noise, the sitting still, and the chaos just overload his little brain and he freaks out. The only thing that gets him through it are the people at church who love him. He has a wonderful teacher who is so kind to him it makes me cry. He has adult friends that he runs to (Tina, Chrysta, and Sarah) and talks about all week long. Those people watch out for him and shower him with hugs and high fives, and there is nothing greater for me to witness.

I have never met another child who so easily endears himself to other people. Even with all his difficulties and quirks, Keaton is just intoxicatingly affectionate. People tell me all the time, "I just LOVE that kid to death" and I can tell that they mean it. Perhaps there are people who think Keaton is just an undisciplined, uncooperative child, or that his disability is not a real condition -- to them I would say, "You are missing out on knowing one of the sweetest people you will ever meet. Also, you are stupid. Go to Hell." The mother bear in me gets nasty when someone messes with my kids.

Keaton has his moments, but there is not a mean bone in his body, and he would never dream of hurting anyone or anything. He runs to me to wipe my tears away when I am crying, and will sit in my lap for hours if I let him. He is such a special little spirit that I can't help but be grateful to have him in our home, and I am bursting at the seams proud to be his mother.

All I ask is this: please understand that when my child is misbehaving, it is because his brain cannot process what is going on around him. I am trying my hardest to avoid the things that trigger meldowns for him, but sometimes I cannot control his environment, and he is still learning how to cope with the situations he finds himself in. The last thing I (or any other parent of a developmentally disabled child) need is for you to glare at me, give me advice, or gossip about my child and all the ways you could "fix him" if you were his parent. I would pay money and bring popcorn to watch someone else try to handle Keaton for a day.

Now go read this article (same one I linked to way up there) and for heaven's sake, give Keaton and his parents a break.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

AWESOME. This is why Heavenly Father sent Keaton to you. Because He knew that no one could love Keaton and nurture him and protect him the way that you can and do. I know you often think you are a failure as a mother because you get frazzled by dealing with a special needs child 24/7/365, but what I see is not a failure, but a mom who has fought the system for two years in order to get the help her little boy needs. That would frazzle anyone. I see a mom who loves her little imp so much she can even see how amazing it is when he writes full sentences on the walls at barely four years old, rather than just being mad that she has to re-paint. I see a mom who is able to rejoice in normal brotherly interactions, even when it involves potty talk in the shower. And I totally agree that that ONE person we know who busts on Keaton is really, really, really missing out on a super special, amazingly charming, sweet-as-pie little boy. You know I love him. And you.

Courtney said...

Who is messing with Keaton? I'll kill em. Or at least photoshop Satan horns onto a picture and post for the world to see.

I hope that person is reading and I hope they are sick to their stomach with guilt and torment for being so ignorant.

We LOVE Keaton! One of my favorite pictures is one of him reading Goodnight Moon to baby Brinlee. What a treat to know him it is!

JustMe said...

Children are such a blessing; it doesn't matter how God sent them to us. Keaton isn't "broken", but maybe we are. I am sure we are judged on how we treat the weakest among us.

You probably have been judged more than once and people have thought you were an indifferent or a "bad" parent. I know that you don't want your child to have to go around wearing a label, but sometimes you may have to.

As to the witch at church, aren't you glad she is going to church? Goodness knows, she has some lessons about "love one another" that she obviously hasn't learned yet. If nothing else, we should love the people we go to church with. That being said, there are some people in my ward who make me totally crazy. ;-)

My daughter has a birth defect that we didn't find out about until shortly after her 16th birthday. It was devastating to find out she would never be able to have children. My daughter is beautiful, very delicate and feminine, and to look at her, you would never know she is incomplete. It has been so hard for her to accept this, but it has given her a much stronger testimony. She did have a teacher in young woman that insisted on talking about all joys of being pregnant, and how we get to be co-creators with Heavenly Father, etc., even after my daughter told her how upsetting it was. Being able to carry a child doesn’t make us a mother any more than donating sperm makes a father. Her teacher was told twice, and still insisted on talking about pregnancy. I have to believe it was deliberate. Everyone else in our ward talked about how sweet this sister is, but I know she’s a witch. Yes, my daughter was almost an adult and much different in age from your sweet son, but I still wanted to rip someone’s throat out.

Not all birth defects and disabilities are apparent. It would behoove all of us to try to be more loving and accepting of each other.

Don't worry abut what other people thing - just do what is best for your son.

Jessica said...

Can I just echo what Chrysta said? You're such a sweet mom to Keaton, even though you don't feel like it sometimes.

Who doesn't like Keaton? Do you want to go toilet papering? Okay.

Nicole said...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments! Honestly, knowing how adored Keaton is by so many people makes dealing with the challenges easier for Boone and me.

JustMe, I think you are absolutely right that Keaton is NOT the broken one, we are. I would bet my life that at the end of the day, we will judged far more harshly for the way we treated each other than for the number of times we read the Bible. Because really, what's the point of scripture if not to teach each other how to behave with the people we encounter? I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's teacher, and wonder what makes some people so cruel. Those people will get what's coming to them, at least that's what I tell myself every Sunday;)

Nicole said...

Sigh. Again, I wish I could edit my comment -- swap "each other" for "us".

Deb said...

Every time you write about Keaton, I cry. But not because of the significant challenges you and he face; rather because of the way you convey the gift of who he is. I know I don't always see the sweet soul of my kids when I'm frustrated with all that life throws at us. Thank you for reminding me do do that. Everyday.

Deb said...

(P.S. I see your typo and raise you a typo!)

Alyssa said...

Good for you, Nicole. And to the Stupid Jerkwadface at church, I say BAH! If I ever make it to Georgia to visit Chrysta, you can point her out to me, and I will throw a javelin at her. No seriously. I will.

Cilka said...

I so wish you guys lived closer. I love your whole family. I have a wonderful, different bond with each of your kids, but the one with Keaton is truly special. I love how he calls me "My Cilka." It makes me smile to hear all of the ways he is progressing. You guys are wonderful parents...I have seen it from the day Rylan was born.

Cilka said...

P.S. After knowing all the difficult things Keaton and your family goes through, it really makes me stop, think, and be more understanging of others. Like you have said before, you never know what other people are going through, or what people are dealing with. Now, when I go into the grocery store, or see kids throwing fits in public, I think to myself that they might be dealing with the same things my nephew is, so don't judge them!! And, when I see other people giving them dirty looks or rolling their eyes, it makes me mad.

luce said...

it isn't my same lady is it...
i haven't spent much time with him but i would trade hime for bailey any day. keep up the good work and if you need help for any extended time i can send you some.

Anonymous said...

Lyssa isn't kidding, btw. It's always good to have a sister/friend who went to collegiate nationals for spear-throwing. She has pretty darn good aim and can throw from far enough away that if she removed all traces of DNA beforehand and then wore gloves, it would probably be the perfect murder :)

The Galan Family said...

Well said Nicole. Even though you were already pretty sure about what he had, it must feel good to have that diagnosis and know for sure so that he can continue to progress and you guys can just move on. He is doing so well and I can even tell a huge difference in him since I have met you. I just love him. He's such a charmer. I can't imagine anyone disliking him. You guys are such great parents.

Anna@Exasperation said...

Sometime during my senior year of high school a family moved in to our ward and I got pretty attached to their oldest son, Brenden. He has very acute autism. I'm not sure where he is on the spectrum. But it never mattered. I became their piano teacher and babysitter on summers home from college. It was this opportunity that taught me just how much Heavenly Father loves all of His children, but (in my personal opinion) he might love kids with special needs just a tad bit more. They come to Earth with the sweetest, most tender spirits. In some cases you have to really pay attention so you can SEE and FEEL it. Brenden had zero social skills and a tendency to be extremely aggressive. But if you were willing to put up with all of it he also had the worlds biggest hug. And if you REALLY let him put you through the ringer and still stuck around? You got to become his "wife." That was me. Wife to a 9 year-old boy with autism and totally happy with it. Whenever I hear your stories of Keaton's sweetness I think about Brenden. The love that comes from these children - Heavenly Father's choice spirits - is unfettered in a way that no other "normal" person can manage. What a gift for them to be able to give those around them! THESE are the kids who should really be referred to as "gifted!"
I have no tolerance for people who refuse to accept a child - any child. I don't care what the reasoning is! A child is a child is a child is a child. And EVERY child is a Child of God.
Thanks for this post. What a great reminder that we all need to be less judgmental and a little more compassionate in every situation.

Bastianclan said...

Awee Nicole another wonderful tribute to your wonderful son Keaton. I will tell you something. Keaton has such a strong spirit. I feel it every time we talk. I love your little Keaton.

Nicole said...

And he loves you back, "Sissa Bastian"! Thank you for being so kind to him -- the way you have treated Keaton from day one means the world to Boone and I. I don't think there is anything as gratifying to me as watching other people love my children, and I can tell you truly love Keaton.

Everyone else: Again, thank you all for your kind words and heartfelt comments (and spear throwing offers:)

Boone sat here tonight reading through them and the tears just poured down his face. These posts and the accompanying comments are very touching to my sweet husband who loves ALL his children, but feels especially protective of Keaton. I think reading the feedback is even more important for him than it is for me, since he does not have the same network of friends that I do. Even if he did, guys just don't seem to talk about things like this very much, so I think sometimes Boone feels very alone as a parent of a special needs child. Your comments and love for Keaton help him to see that he and I are not alone on this journey. For that, you have my greatest appreciation.

Nicole said...

P.S. Anna, your comment is the one that sent him into the ugly cry. Well done;)

JustMe said...

Nicole: This sucks that I can't send you an email, because sometimes I don't really want the entire world to see my comments that are really just for you. So, after you read this, you can feel free to delete it from your blog comments if you are so inclined.

I have such a great admiration and respect for you, and for all parents who are blessed with special needs children. I believe it really is a calling that requires someone with unique talents, overwhelming love, and the drive to fight to get what is best for your child. I don’t want to suggest that I believe you are an angel or a saint, because I am sure you have days when you think “why me”. But your blog really is a testimony to the love you have for your family, and your desire to be the best parent you can be, while still holding onto that inner spirit that is what makes you unique.

I don’t know anyone who has an autism child, though I do know it is becoming more common. Your blog offers a small peak into the world of such a child and the world of his parents. I have to be honest and say that I have judged parents with unruly children, because I think children should behave. As parents, you are doing everyone a disservice when you don’t discipline your children. (This was meant as the collective “you” and not addressed to you, Nicole, personally) All too often parents with bratty children think their child is cute, and fails to understand the rest of the world doesn’t view the child in the same way.

It has honestly never crossed my mind that a child having a meltdown in public might have autism or other medical conditions that would precipitate such an event. Thanks to your honesty and openness about Keaton, I resolve to try and be more understanding and accepting of those things about which I know nothing. I promise that I will stop for a moment and think before I direct harsh criticism towards a parent. Thank you for enlightening others and me.

Nicole said...

JustMe, you can email me any time at terry.nicole@gmail.com.

If it's alright with you, I'd rather leave this comment up. I said to Boone just last night, "If even one person reads this and it changes how they look at special needs children, it's worth the effort to share Keaton's story".

There are certainly children who misbehave because their parents think it's cute, or are too lazy to actually discipline their children. It's really easy to pass judgment when you see a child falling apart in public -- I'll admit that I still catch myself doing it from time to time, and I REALLY know better. But I think it's important to let people know that there is a chance the parents are doing their very best and have a child who simply cannot handle the situation he/she finds him/herself in.

Thank you for your candid comment, and thank you for the validation that writing these things might make a difference, no matter how small.

Sara K. said...

Telling Keaton's story is a gift to all of us who don't know him personally. The message of being less judgmental in all my doings is one thing I can take away from this. What a blessing for you to have supportive friends and fantastic teachers and ward members (minus the one who apparently has a hit on her now).

Christy said...

I have nothing additionally to add other than love and support for you and your family xo

Stephanie said...

I remember when I first got called to nursery, and the previous people told me to watch out for certain "problem" children. I hate that BTW!!! I don't like being categorized or judged before someone even knows me, and I refuse to do that to other people. Keaton was one of my favorites. He was actually better than my son! I absolutely loved all the kids in our nursery and when they all moved up to primary I was so happy to see them during singing time. I was kind of grateful that Jordan wasn't the only one that had to have their dad sitting in during the sunbeams lessons. I think Erik and Boone learned lots in those classes! ;)
Thanks for sharing everything Nicole, especially Keaton! You are a great mom!

Emma said...

Nicole, you know how much we love Keaton! Naomi still periodically says, "Why does Keaton live in Georgia? I miss Keaton. Keaton is a good boy. Will we live in Georgia again?" I am glad that you FINALLY got in to see the pediatric specialist and that you FINALLY have a diagnosis. While I know that must have been heartbreaking to hear those words, I know it must be somewhat of a relief to know (a little better) what you are facing. I think dealing with tantrums from a child that can't control them is (while definitely not fun or easy) is a little less hard than dealing with tantrums from a child who is just being stubborn. I know that Keaton will benefit from your persistence and dedication. Naomi is right - Keaton is a good boy! We love and miss him and all of you!

Betty said...

Beautifully written, as always, Nicole.

Winn Family said...

You are a great mom!!! I wish I could say things as well as ALL the other comments but seriously--I agree with it all and I'm grateful for your and Boone's example of love and genuine (ness...you know, you're real and sincere...I'm good with words!) and just great people.
I love those tender mercies from the Lord that help us to know we made the right choice--like with Keatons class, and that he's improving and the when he asked you how your run was....just all of it. I love knowing you and am so grateful that I get to have an excuse to crash your house once a month--I have a lot to learn from you!