Thursday, April 2, 2009

This Is The One You've Been Waiting For!

Not really.


Okay, so I am doing laundry today (because it is my favorite thing to do) and I had an epiphany about the kind of person I am: only I don't know what my epiphany means exactly. I just know it reveals something about me. Am I selfish? Self-serving? Holding some sort of a grudge? Burying some secret resentment that is slowly poisoning my soul from the inside out?

Because I looked down at my mountain of laundry on the bed, and realized that I had folded 80% of the pile -- the 20% left unfolded? ALL BOONE'S. Every last item. Even the freaking dishtowels got their turn before his jeans.

Seriously, what is that all about? Why did I leave everything that was his in a heap while I folded and neatly stacked everyone else's? It was not anything I did consciously. He hasn't done anything today that has irritated me, so what gives? WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?

Does anyone else find they fold laundry in a certain order? All your own stuff first? Pajamas last? Am I the only one devoting hours of my life to analyzing the way in which I clean my family's clothing?

I hope I actually have no secret issue and the reality is that his clothes are the biggest and therefore the biggest pain to fold, but I sort of don't think I'm that nice (cue my friends telling me "You're nice, Nicole!" and my family telling me "Nope. You're mental. And mean.")

Sigh.

13 comments:

Brandi said...

I simply don't fold my husband's clothes, period. I wash them, dry them and pile them on a chair. They're his responsibility at that point.

Am I a bad wife?

The Galan Family said...

I do the exact same thing. I think it IS because his clothes are bigger and a bigger pain to fold. And it seems like there is so much MORE of his clothes to fold because he not only wears Army clothes and Army PT's, he wears regular clothes too and then clothes he sleeps in. When he is away, my laundry pile is seriously cut in half. No, you are not a selfish, mean person.

Bastianclan said...

Nicole,
I do the same thing. I think becasue you said it 20% are HIS!! how sad is that. I really hate doing the laundry. Really!!! You are never finished and that bugs me... I never put anyones laundry away. Even my 3 yr old puts his laundry away. So I don't think you weird...

Emi said...

wait.... you do laundry?
huh? you fold clothes????

Courtney said...

Mom and I just had a similar conversation. About the laundry, that is... she said she used to like folding mens' one-piece undies because it made such a large dent in the pile. Well, I'm sure folding anything of dad's made a large dent in the pile.

Ironically enough, I'm the same way. Ryan's stuff is always the last to be folded.

Deb said...

I'm with Emi. Isn't that what husbands and laundry baskets are for?

P.S. Glad you're not dead.

Anonymous said...

At least you were folding yours... has there ever been a time when you've come over and there haven't been at least two baskets of clean, unfolded laundry in the living room and a huge pile of dirty waiting at the back end of the kitchen??? If the answer to that is yes, then I scrambled and threw everything into my bedroom and shut the door, and probably only because you were bringing the whole fam.

When my SIL brought her little boy down from Atlanta for Hudson's birthday, K2 slept in the pack'n'play in my room. The pnp is still there in the corner, because I discovered that it makes a nice, huge CORRAL for the clean laundry.

I'm with Tina: laundry is my arch-nemesis. (Along with meal planning and red Georgia clay.)

Anonymous said...

Oh, but, um... you ARE mental. XD

Emma said...

I have to confess - I just fold whatever I pull off the top of the pile. I usually leave myself socks for the end. The depressing thing about laundry is that it never, never, never ends. Never. And Nicole, you're neither mean nor mental! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh come on, Emma. You've definitely seen her being mental...

Jessica said...

I am the opposite. I fold all the big stuff first (towels, Adam's jeans and uniforms) because once I'm done with that, the pile looks SOOO small and it makes me feel like I don't have a lot left. The boys' clothes take up such little space. Also, I leave the socks in the basket because I hate sorting socks. Adam usually has to do that when he gets home.

Stephanie said...

This is so funny, because I was wondering almost the same thing the last time I folded laundry...notice I say the last time because sadly it has been a while, and it's not because anyone else folds it, it's because it's STILL all sitting in the baskets unfolded. I feel bad (sometimes) that Erik's clothes are always the last thing on my to do list. I sort through all the laundry first. Each of the kids have their own baskets and then I put Erik's stuff on his side of the bed and I put mine on my side of the bed. After I have folded all the kids clothes and then mine, if I have time then I might do Erik's, but most of the time when he gets home IF he wants to lay down on the bed, he has to take care of his laundry first. It works most of the time.
So I'd say you are pretty normal and since you actually fold his laundry and not just pile it up on his side of the bed, then you are that much more ahead of me!

Anna@Exasperation said...

Who cares how you fold your/Boone's laundry? Just the fact that you do it should earn you a princess crown and a wand and maybe some sparkly shoes...