Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Randomness That Was May (well, up until today at least).

Well, at this point I am so freaking far behind that I don't even care what order I post things in. Branik turned 3 over a month ago and I do intend to blog that out at some point, but the pictures aren't handy so this is what you get instead.

Behold May 2009 for the Terry family:

Boone finally talked me into coming camping with the family, but that meant we had to buy a real family sized tent and not our little backpacking one he crammed the kids into last time.
It seems like a pretty sweet little setup, which I can say based on the fact that it fit air mattresses for each family member with room to spare. I can do "real camping" or I can do "we have 3 kids here" camping, but not both at the same time.

Anyway, I am less grumpy about getting attacked by mosquitoes and peeing in bushes when I have friends around to distract me, so we managed to convince the Galan family to come with us. Aren't they so cute? Yes, yes they are.

They also coincidentally have the same tent we do, which makes them even more awesome-er than we thought.

We figure we spent about 72 hours preparing for, and recovering from our one night trip, which was really all to get 3 hours of uninterrupted adult conversation around the campfire, but it was still worth it (it was, right guys?) Plus, the kids like it, so we get to feel like good parents for a few hours which is always bizarre/nice.

The kids had "kids scary story circle time"...


...played for hours in the lake, and by the lake, I mostly mean the mud BY the lake...


...and ate s'mores until we were sick of them and threw them in the tents:)

After that we ate more, talked more, peed in bushes more, ate more again, and finally gave in to our delirium at about 2:00 in the morning. Which meant we got a whopping 4 hours of sleep before the kids woke up, at which point it was pancake time!


I have a picture of each of our kids eating their first "camping pancakes", and this is Branik's:


Look at that face -- isn't it so full of joy?

Now look at that belly -- isn't it so full of pancakes? Yes it is. Branik has inherited my ability to eat until I literally have to disrobe out of sheer discomfort. Sometimes I skip the swim diaper though.

Truth in blogging -- this is how I look on 4 hours of sleep. Don't wake me early. You've been warned. Anyway, it was fun and we are excited to go again, but have decided the trip needs to be 2 or 3 nights at least to make all the planning worth it. You know you can't wait to see how I look after 3 days. You know it. I don't blame you, I can hardly wait myself.

Moving on.


Branik would like me to type "big brothers suck", and since he's the baby he gets what he wants. Why do big brothers suck, Bran flakes?






Oh. That's why. Notice the snot pouring out of the nostrils? Notice his mean mother was photographing the grossness so Boone would believe her? I have priorities, people. That thing was nasty for a few hours, and he still has a lump there, poor little guy. This was by far the worst thing one of my kids has suffered at the hands of another of my kids (knock on wood).

So Keaton doesn't really suck, of course. But he DOES graduate from preschool a lot. Here he is with Miss Jeanne...

...and Miss Shannon (who I am certain would murder me if she knew I was posting this picture of her on the internet. She reminds me of Paula Deen, except not enormous)...


...and then here he is at his special school with Miss Cooley...


...and Miss Beth.


He had such a great time at this new school and those women helped him so much in the short time that he was in the class. He really made some progress there and we are hopeful that kindergarten will go smoothly in the fall.



This is just some random pajama picture that I thought was cute. I have to capture the pleasantries when they happen so I can prove to them that they love each other.



Here's another random picture -- that would be Coldplay, rocking out in the middle of the lawn section IN THE RAIN at the concert Boone and I went to. Oh Chris Martin, you so totally rock I can hardly stand it. I think I shall purchase tickets to partake of your musical goodness again in Charlotte. Amen.


Speaking of beautiful people...


Look at my little girl! Isn't she just gorgeous? This was the day of her fitting for her ballet recital, and I caught her first glimpse of herself in the mirror. She was pretty thrilled.

This one is pretty fuzzy but cute of Rylan listening to some instructions from her teacher at the dress rehearsal. And the next ones are of Rylan and her friend Adison after the recital today. She did a great job and we are so proud of our little ballerina!


So yeah. That's been May so far. Busy.

INJURY UPDATE:

I had to quit spinning and any weight training that required standing about 3 weeks ago because my leg was getting worse. Then, just for kicks, I had a mole removed (which turned out to be normal but left a lovely scar) and that barred me from heavy lifting and swimming for 2 weeks, so I'm roughly the size of a barge at this point. My leg is still broken (in that stress fracture-y kind of way), but I'm slowly improving. I think by the time school starts (which is August 10th for us) I'll be ready to start the slow buildup to distance running again. I don't think my full marathon in December plans are going to pan out, but I should be able to run another half by then, and then hopefully run 26.2 in March. I miss it even more than I thought I would, but I am determined to let myself heal adequately, and rest seems to be what is required, so rest I shall.

I'm glad we spent this time together. Thanks for tuning in!

8 comments:

Jessica said...

Great pictures.

I like the Beauty and the Beast reference. That's my favorite Disney movie.

Your camping picture doesn't look any different from your normal self- and by that I mean HOT. You need to look in the mirror and realize that you are a hottie. Go ahead and do that right now, okay?

Christy said...

Awesome update. How do you get your posts so organized? I struggle to get pictures in order....and get so frustrated that I just give up! I admire you


so sorry you are still sidelined from running. I KNOW that must be eating you up.....I know it would me. Hang in there girl. Hopefully soon this will all turn around for you and you will be back stronger than ever!

((HUGS))

Oh and yes, your daughter is absolutely gorgeous! Congrats to her .......and to you for surviving your camping excursion!

Deb said...

Camping with friends is so much fun. We do it every year with our neighbors -- sometimes we tent and rough it; sometimes we pull our parents' trailers and pee in potties, cook in the microwave and sleep in the A/C. The tenting is my favorite, less of a hassle in my opinion. But either way, you're right, it's not worth it unless it's for a couple days because you need to bring the same amount of crap no matter how many days you go.

I'm trying to imagine you eating camping pancakes in a muddy swim diaper.

HOLY GOONER ON BRANIK'S HEAD! Your kids are so daggone cute (even with a gooner) and grown up (RYLAN!).

Your Coldplay picture makes my toes tingle in anticipation ... I'm counting down the days until our Nickelback concert in July.

And finally, if you would have just followed your first doctor's advice and taken a couple advil and iced your shin splints a day or two, I bet you'd good as new. Let that be a lesson to you. (Or not.)

Alyssa said...

I got tired just READING this. But I second the notion that your kids are freakin' adorable, and Rylan is a splendid little ballerina!

PS. My word verification is Buroonsi. Sounds like a nickname you might give boone.

Stephanie said...

Hey, I say that if "the Biggest Loser" people can run a full marathon in, what was it?...18 weeks, then you can totally do it! Of course, they were without kids, jobs, housekeeping, let alone laundry for that whole time, and they had an on site Doctor there for anything they needed, but hey, whatever! I think a half marathon would be awesome... maybe someday after I work up to that 5K. Wooo Whoooo!
Your update was really cute. Good to hear from you again Nicole!

Betty said...

Congratulations to Rylan and Keaton on their big accomplishments! Yikes to Branik! It's great to have friends to go camping with! Remember our trip to the Redwoods? Keep taking care of yourself!

Emma said...

I'm so glad you posted something. I was starting to wonder if you'd fallen into a Georgia swamp never to be heard from again. (Like I'm one to talk! But, my parents just left and I should be back to my semi-regular blogging habits soon.) Anyway - I loved the pictures of your kids, I wish we could have gone camping too, I'm jealous of the Coldplay concert and WE MISS YOU!!!

JustMe said...

1 - All of your children are beautiful. Is anyone surprised? Cause their mom & dad are HOT! Anyone that can look that good after camping, with kids, is a natural hottie.

2 - Isn't is scary how fast children grow - but in our hearts we stay the same age. Goodness knows, most days I feel I'm the same age you are - and my kids are your age!

3 - Camping - ugh - shoot me in the face. The last (ok, ONLY) time we camped as a family was in Jackson Hole, Wyoming about 10 years ago. It was August and I've never been so cold in my life. I punched my husband awake about 5 AM and said "get me out of this hell" You've seen my pictures - do I LOOK like an outdoor girl?

4 - Sorry about your leg. My daughter-in-law is still recovering from her broken leg. But, she had 2 surgeries, both both bones in her lower leg, and has a major scar.

5 - When are you coming to the Atlanta area cause I need to meet you and bore you with myself in person.