We started our adventure walking around the historical district downtown. I think they have something like 83 pre-Revolutionary War buildings there, but that's not something we were about to attempt with 3 kids, so we just wandered and saw what we could from the street. It was still pretty impressive...
...it was also hot as Hades and we were thrilled to stumble upon this park with a wading fountain. Once Keaton saw the water he peeled his shirt off so fast you'd have thought it was on fire. He and Rylan (Branik was a little intimidated) had so much fun playing in this fountain and I'm pretty sure all 3 adults were ticked to be too old to soak ourselves in public. How fun does this this look?
Branik just wanted to get down and run -- he was in no mood for photos...
If Keaton's reset button is water (spraying in his face), Branik's is any cookie you can think of. It doesn't matter if it's homemade, out of a box, or from Subway (it was close and had air conditioning, OK?), if it is in cookie form he will devour it and it will fill his life with unadulterated joy!
Anyway, after we left historic Subway we headed back to the car and checked into our hotel so we could let the kiddos sleep it off. They were exhausted from the drive and the heat, and although we were equally ragged, I'm pretty sure I'm remembering accurately that we wasted the night watching some news magazine about a woman who killed her husband (or DID she???)
The next day we decided to drive up the road a few miles and check out Magnolia Plantation. This place freaking rocks, and the pictures I took don't do it justice (but I'm still posting them).
If you look at the center of this next photo, you can see 2 alligators in the water. We saw several more just walking around, but these were the only ones we could get on camera at all. Crazy stuff.
After the tram ride we went over to the little petting zoo there to let the kids see the animals...
You know how spoiled those Southern goats are -- what are you gonna do? No seriously though, what's up with this?
Those animals were so chilled out around my boys that I decided they must be on Valium or something. But then a keeper walked in with food and they bolted straight for him, so I guess they are really that used to children. It was cool.
After I bathed everyone in Purell, we headed over to the actual gardens that have been maintained by the same family since the 1600's. It was stunningly beautiful. And yes, my crummy little point-and-shoot really took these photos.
3 comments:
You're back! I think we may have to go to Charleston over Labor Day weekend...
Hi Guys!
Charleston looks amazing!! It sounds like you had a lot of fun!
I hope to come out there soon, so maybe we could go there. But then again, I don't know how well a small baby would do in that heat!
Trip looks fun, Sorry to be missing everything. Are you going to Vegas in August?
Post a Comment