Friday, July 11, 2008

You asked for it...

So. This has been awhile in coming, but today I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on a political post. I have refrained from this because I don't want to come off all preachy and whatnot, but then I realized a few things and changed my mind:

  • I have been getting a lot of questions about my political views from people I go to church with -- especially since I stuck two Obama stickers on our car and then had the gall to drive it to church and park it next to all the Romney supporters' vehicles. ("Ohhhh, YOU'RE the ones!" -- we hear this pretty much every Sunday as we get back into our car). I figure if you really want to know what's up this is as good a way as any.
  • This is my blog (well, Boone's too, but he feels the same way I do and has better things to do than post). Since this is my blog, I can say whatever I want. That being said...
  • ...you can stop reading this whenever you want, although since I sift through all the conservative Republican forwards I get (I roll my eyes all the way through, but still...) I think the polite thing to do is keep reading until the end before you question my integrity. Feel free to roll your eyes, I can't see you.
Now that I have convinced myself that it is okay to share my views, let me also tell you that what I am about to post came from someone else's blog. I stumbled onto her site a few days ago and I think I may have found a long lost best friend in cyber-space. She is also an active member of the LDS church AND a self-proclaimed liberal Democrat (who bleeds Diet Coke just like I do:)

When I read what she wrote, I just felt that she had stated very simply what I have struggled to articulate, so I am borrowing her words:

"In the course of writing this blog, lots of people have asked me how I reconcile being Mormon and a Liberal. To me there was nothing to reconcile. I based my decision on my very Christian values. Help the sick. Aid the needy. For LDS readers, I am always reminded of Mosiah 4, where King Benjamin tells his people to help the poor, even if they don't necessarily deserve it.

I do not understand how a political party which clings to ideas such as "Family Values," the "Christian Right," and "National Morality," can be against universal health care. I do not understand the thinking that allows someone to decide that sick people should be rendered helpless by a bureaucracy.

I do not understand how someone reads the Bible, and at the part where Christ says "Suffer, the little children," interprets it to mean "Suffer, little children." Because in America the Republican Party will vote down laws that will give you health care. Republican administrations will cut the funding for WIC (health care for underprivileged INFANTS.) They will vote against SCHIP but fund a war we have no hope of winning. They will cut funding for public education, thus widening the gap between the rich and the poor.

I do not understand it.

I do understand this-

"The uninsured are sicker, suffer more from chronic disease, and rarely get rehabilitation after an injury or surgery. They also die sooner-knowing that, with insurance, they might have lived." (Newsweek, September 07)

I also understand numbers-46 million Americans are uninsured. 46 million people die earlier because the Republican Administration says that government-run health care is socialism. Forget the fact that we've had government run health care for decades. (It's called Medicare, and oh, they cut funding for that too) What I want to see is some more 'Compassionate Conservatism." I want more "Family Values" that care less about what Americans are doing under the sheets and more about what sick kids, elderly people, and veterans are doing when they can't see a doctor. I want a type of Morality that knows the difference between good- health care for children, and bad-depriving infants of pre and post natal care.

Where are the Christians in the Republican Party? Where are the good Samaritans who help their sick and uninsured neighbors and their underprivileged kids?

I guess I just can't think that way. I guess I just can't vote that way. That is why I'm a Liberal. That is why I'm a Christian."

I read that and said, "Amen, Sister!" I do not expect many of you to agree with me, but I decided that's okay. We can disagree and still be civil to one another, and maybe after reading this you will understand a little bit of why we vote the way we do.

And maybe, just maybe, the number of "Obama is a secret Muslim"/"Democrats are conspiring to drive up gas prices"/"global warming is a hoax" emails will quit flooding my inbox:)

In case you want it (and to fully credit the author), the link to the blog I borrowed the quote from is:

www.mormonchildbride.blogspot.com

Don't get all freaked out by her blog's name -- she is hilarious, intelligent, and insightful. Thanks for listening (all 3 of you who made it this far). I will resume talking about unimportant stuff like weight loss and the smell of my hall bathroom ASAP.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

holy cow! i'm so very flattered. thanks for the shout out and thanks for the support! it is great to find new friends....

really, gee, thanks :)

Jay and Sherrie said...

What? You guys are liberals?? Who knew?!?

Seriously though, we crazy awesome Johnsons are about as right-wing-Republican-Rush-Limbaugh-ditto-heads as you can get, but we absolutely respect and appreciate both your point of view and your right to have it--even as a Mormon! :)

You know, we think God might love both Republicans AND Democrats!

People would do well to remember that the Church encourages us to vote our conscience, not to vote for a specific party. You guys are awesome, and we're glad to see that you're not afraid to let others know what it means to you to vote your conscience, even if others don't agree.

Jeb and Becca said...

We get the same kind of looks and comments at church functions when Jeb wears his University of Utah hat!! :) Not BYU?

Love you Colie and love your blog! You have always been someone I feel close to. I know I can talk to you about anything and you will not be judgmental. I hope you feel the same about me!
Becca

Nicole said...

Thanks to everyone who posted comments in regards to this entry! I have to admit, it was made me a little nervous to do it but I truly appreciate the kind words (even from fans of Rush Limbaugh:)

I love and respect all of my friends and feel very strongly that everyone should be allowed to form and express their own opinions.

It seems to me that there is a general assumption that if you are LDS, you must be a conservative Republican. I just wanted to point out that it is possible to have different political views without being inherently evil.

Also, I wanted to say that just because we're Democrats doesn't mean we think abortion is okay, or that religion should be totally absent from our society. We base our decision on many MANY issues, and it just happens to be that we fall on the Democratic side of the fence more often than the Republican side.

We have no ill feelings at all about our friends and family who are conservative -- we just want to be allowed to be who we are without being attacked or reprimanded.

My greatest hope for this post would just be that people can see that 1) we make our decisions based on our own morals, and 2) that perhaps there is another way to look at some of the issues that many view as black and white/ right and wrong.

Sorry for the long comment, but there's a lot to say!

Chrystapooh said...

Did you really just apologize for a long comment ON YOUR OWN BLOG????

Patrick and Leigh said...

Hi, Nicole-I found your blog because sometimes I like to click on comment profiles and check out random people's blogs-which I did when I got a hold of Emma's blog address. (don't worry, I checked out 'pooh's' too.

First off, I read through this entire post-it seemed you were doubtful people would. (I'm a sucker for a thoughtful and verbose postings) I'm glad you posted this, because unfortunately democrats & republicans are so often stereotyped. ..and really no intelligent or productive conversation can really occur when we're hugging defensively to the polar extremes of either liberalism or conservatism. We can talk politics any day.

Leigh
...or a compassionate conservative who loves trees and rocks and wildlife and a good old fashioned fist bump.

Betty said...

Thanks for the thoughtful post. I believe that most human beings want the best for most other human beings. To paraphrase MLK, I dream of a day when we will look at the content of each other's character, and not at superficial labels, political, or otherwise.
Love you much,
Mom